Still Struggling with Humidity

margosha

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, OH
My baby RT's enclosure is a not-all-the-way closed chamber (because if I close it off entirely it gets way too hot and humid). During the day the humidity ranges from 55-75% (with the lower reading being under the lights), but at night it can spike well into the 80s. I'm concerned that that is too high for a Russian but am also not sure, since he loves sleeping in his humid house at night. So, I would love some opinions from all you lovely tort people. Should I just let it be? Or should I try to open the enclosure more at night or maybe keep the substrate less damp?

Thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My baby RT's enclosure is a not-all-the-way closed chamber (because if I close it off entirely it gets way too hot and humid). During the day the humidity ranges from 55-75% (with the lower reading being under the lights), but at night it can spike well into the 80s. I'm concerned that that is too high for a Russian but am also not sure, since he loves sleeping in his humid house at night. So, I would love some opinions from all you lovely tort people. Should I just let it be? Or should I try to open the enclosure more at night or maybe keep the substrate less damp?

Thanks!

I do not house this species....just to be clear. However, if the night temps are no less than 78-80 degrees then the humidity is ok on the higher end....just keep in mind that them humidity should not exceed the temp...a good trick...if the humidity is 80% then the temps are fine at 80...just remember....cool dry temps are fine but wet cool temps are a recipe for bad....if you want to offer a cool off night spot..be certain that cool off spot is not cool and wet. Cool and dry =fine...warm and moist=fine....cool and wet = sick tortoise...

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I think Russians actually like a cooler spot at night. My night temps drop to about 70f sometimes 65f my humidity is pretty much like yours too, raises slightly at night. My baby does sleep near the basking light and it’s naturally drier at that end of the tank.

Also substrate wise I use a 2 inch layer of coco coir with an inch layer of orchid bark. The orchid bark is quite dry as I worry about shell rot in Russians but underneath the coco coir is damp and really holds the moisture well. That way my baby is not constantly laying on wet substrate. I just spray the orchid bark once a day.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
I do not house this species....just to be clear. However, if the night temps are no less than 78-80 degrees then the humidity is ok on the higher end....just keep in mind that them humidity should not exceed the temp...a good trick...if the humidity is 80% then the temps are fine at 80...just remember....cool dry temps are fine but wet cool temps are a recipe for bad....if you want to offer a cool off night spot..be certain that cool off spot is not cool and wet. Cool and dry =fine...warm and moist=fine....cool and wet = sick tortoise...

Yeah that's the tricky thing about Russians. Based on everything I've read, @Tom 's personal experiences, and my own lil dude's behavior, they benefit in a drop in temps at night, and can handle cooler temps even with moderate humidity. The question is, how high can I let the nighttime humidity get before it becomes a problem? Idk if the general rule applies for this species?

margosha

Cleveland, OH
I think Russians actually like a cooler spot at night. My night temps drop to about 70f sometimes 65f my humidity is pretty much like yours too, raises slightly at night. My baby does sleep near the basking light and it’s naturally drier at that end of the tank.

Also substrate wise I use a 2 inch layer of coco coir with an inch layer of orchid bark. The orchid bark is quite dry as I worry about shell rot in Russians but underneath the coco coir is damp and really holds the moisture well. That way my baby is not constantly laying on wet substrate. I just spray the orchid bark once a day.

I use plain coco coir and it's damp but usually dries out on the top layer. I do spray it every now and again though, to prolong the dampness, plus he usually sleeps in his humid house all night, and the coir in there is wetter. Should I be concerned about him being directly on damp ground? Are Russians prone to shell rot?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah that's the tricky thing about Russians. Based on everything I've read, @Tom 's personal experiences, and my own lil dude's behavior, they benefit in a drop in temps at night, and can handle cooler temps even with moderate humidity. The question is, how high can I let the nighttime humidity get before it becomes a problem? Idk if the general rule applies for this species?
Its not tricky and anyone who has kept them can tell you that a night temp drop, regardless of humidity is fine. Relative humidity percentage will always rise as the temp drops. I've done this with dozens of russians over two dozen years and its never been a problem.

This is one of the points that @GBtortoises and I agree on. I belevie @HermanniChris will also agree on this point.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
Its not tricky and anyone who has kept them can tell you that a night temp drop, regardless of humidity is fine. Relative humidity percentage will always rise as the temp drops. I've done this with dozens of russians over two dozen years and its never been a problem.

This is one of the points that @GBtortoises and I agree on. I belevie @HermanniChris will also agree on this point.

When I said it was tricky, I guess I meant that it's hard to get concrete advice on Russians in this case, because many people seem think that the same basic principles apply for all tortoise species. And I know that can't be true, but because I'm such a newbie, reading all the contradicting opinions can be overwhelming, and then I'm panicking at 3am when I see my hygrometer reading 83% with 70 degree temps haha. So thanks for once again keeping my anxiety at bay :D

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY

Thanks!
Please remember what Relative Humidity is measuring. It is a measurement, from 0% to 100% of the amount of water in the air, as compared to the maximum amount of water the air CAN hold AT A GIVEN TEMPERATURE. See the chart below. If you are reading 75% RH during the day and the enclosure temp is 80 degrees F, that is the same amount of moisture in the air as 100% RH at 72 degrees F. So when trying to figure out how moist the air is, remember it is drastically impacted by temperature. RH can be misleading when the temperature is changing.
Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 6.35.44 PM.png

margosha

Cleveland, OH
Please remember what Relative Humidity is measuring. It is a measurement, from 0% to 100% of the amount of water in the air, as compared to the maximum amount of water the air CAN hold AT A GIVEN TEMPERATURE. See the chart below. If you are reading 75% RH during the day and the enclosure temp is 80 degrees F, that is the same amount of moisture in the air as 100% RH at 72 degrees F. So when trying to figure out how moist the air is, remember it is drastically impacted by temperature. RH can be misleading when the temperature is changing.
View attachment 238034

Wow science for the win! That makes it much more easy to understand, thank you!

margosha

Cleveland, OH
I think my other question got lost in the shuffle... should I worry about about shell rot? He loves sleeping in his humid hide all night, and the substrate is always damp in there.

EdMurphy

Minnesota
If you give a 4" 400 gram Russian (no idea what her age is) a daily soak how critical is the humidity in the enclosure? My indoor enclosure is an open table so the humidity is pretty much what it is in the house. I do occasionally spraying the substrate a little after the lights go out at bed time when it looks dry.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
If you give a 4" 400 gram Russian (no idea what her age is) a daily soak how critical is the humidity in the enclosure? My indoor enclosure is an open table so the humidity is pretty much what it is in the house. I do occasionally spraying the substrate a little after the lights go out at bed time when it looks dry.

I’m still learning, but from what I read on here, the need for higher ambient humidity reduces once RTs hit adulthood. But, I think the general thinking is that they still benefit from damp substrate and a humid hide... AND soaks.

Spraying probably isn’t keeping your substrate damp enough, at least it wasn’t in my experience. The goal is to have the under layers of substrate damp, for that I have to pour in water every so often, and I have an almost closed chamber. Those hot lights are super drying!

What kind of substrate do you use? Some hold moisture better than others.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The daily soaks will prevent dehydration and the issues that go along with it, but it won't prevent pyramiding under the desiccating basking lamps.

EdMurphy

Minnesota
I’m still learning, but from what I read on here, the need for higher ambient humidity reduces once RTs hit adulthood. But, I think the general thinking is that they still benefit from damp substrate and a humid hide... AND soaks.

Spraying probably isn’t keeping your substrate damp enough, at least it wasn’t in my experience. The goal is to have the under layers of substrate damp, for that I have to pour in water every so often, and I have an almost closed chamber. Those hot lights are super drying!

What kind of substrate do you use? Some hold moisture better than others.

I use cypress mulch, doesn't seem to stay damp.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
I use cypress mulch, doesn't seem to stay damp.

Cypress mulch should be able to be kept moist in the right conditions. My friend keeps his ball python on that, and if he doesn’t let it air out a little before putting it in the tank (since it comes packaged a little damp), the humidity will read 90%+ for a while! But his tank is a small-ish closed chamber. With a big open table, nothing will stay damp for long. I suggest closing most of the table off, and pouring water straight into the mulch as often as needed. I let my hygrometer be my guide as to when water needs to be added to the substrate. Oh and definitely have a humid hide!