Still acclimating?

missjmg19

Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Atlantic USA
So...... on day 3 - 4 now (got him midday Sunday). Twizzler is definitely more active now. Was thinking he would just sit and bask in one spot most of day. But, he is going back and forth, in and out of water, same as yesterday. We hear lots of clunking around but are trying not to hover (although we check on him constantly). It is glass tank, BUT, he has always lived in same glass tank. We did cover up bottom few inches so he can't see out, but again, this is not a new tank style or size...just a new house.

Is this normal? He is adorable, but I want to make sure he doesn't get hurt!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It is normal. He will adjust. If you can get him into a much bigger enclosure with hiding spots, it would be quicker. Make sure it is not too hot in the enclosure. They will do this to escape heat.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
It is normal. He will adjust. If you can get him into a much bigger enclosure with hiding spots, it would be quicker. Make sure it is not too hot in the enclosure. They will do this to escape heat.

We really can't fit anything much bigger, but I'm hoping this will work since it's what he should be used to. He is 5 years old. One side temperature reads at 91 (F); other side is at 75 (F). He has hide in middle, which he seems to like (in fact, it's the one he had in old house). I just now covered up entire long side of tank (as opposed to just covering bottom few inches). If this helps, great, but then it means we really can't see him or watch him since that is the side we can see through.

We had planned to take him outside today but should be wait if he is still acclimating or do it anyways?

His water dish is now completely filled with dirt, but once I go back to work we will not be here to refresh it every hour of day. Thoughts?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It's good he's now active and exploring his territory, checking out his boundaries. This is normal and great news.
I'd take him out for a shufti, there's nothing like real sunshine.
Pack the substrate down and maybe place a few pebbles around the edge to help scrape off the dirt.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
It's good he's now active and exploring his territory, checking out his boundaries. This is normal and great news.
I'd take him out for a shufti, there's nothing like real sunshine.
Pack the substrate down and maybe place a few pebbles around the edge to help scrape off the dirt.

okay........so we don't need to be worried??? He has now emptied the clay saucer again so he has no water. I just put more in, but once I go back to work (next week) no one will be home to give him more water every hour. He isn't drinking it all, but he's throwing so much in it that it overflows!

If I put rocks around water dish, will he climb over them to get in?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
okay........so we don't need to be worried??? He has now emptied the clay saucer again so he has no water. I just put more in, but once I go back to work (next week) no one will be home to give him more water every hour. He isn't drinking it all, but he's throwing so much in it that it overflows!

If I put rocks around water dish, will he climb over them to get in?
Just get used to the trashing if the enclosure and water dish. Refilling several times a say is likely.

What do you want rocks the water dish for? Push them into the dirt to make a sort of pavement if it's just to try to stop him dragging so much dirt into the water

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Just get used to the trashing if the enclosure and water dish. Refilling several times a say is likely.

What do you want rocks the water dish for? Push them into the dirt to make a sort of pavement if it's just to try to stop him dragging so much dirt into the water

Only problem is what happens when we go to work? We have no problem refilling dish several times a day when we are home, but when we are all at work (beginning next week) he will have to go from 7;00 am - 4:00 pm before it can be refilled.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
How hot would it have to be for a tort to escape high temperature?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Only problem is what happens when we go to work? We have no problem refilling dish several times a day when we are home, but when we are all at work (beginning next week) he will have to go from 7;00 am - 4:00 pm before it can be refilled.
Don't panic. As long as you're soaking daily, he will be perfectly OK if he trashes the water bowl in your absence. :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
How hot would it have to be for a tort to escape high temperature?
I can't give a precise number. They need to be able to regulate their body temps. So while a basking area of 100F is great, if they can't get somewhere to cool off it is a problem. For a Russian, I would be concerned if the low temp available was not below 85F. Does that make sense?

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
I can't give a precise number. They need to be able to regulate their body temps. So while a basking area of 100F is great, if they can't get somewhere to cool off it is a problem. For a Russian, I would be concerned if the low temp available was not below 85F. Does that make sense?

Thanks...... our low side is right around 80, but I just raised up lights a tad bit more, so we'll see what happens. he also has one hide and we are getting another one soon.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Thanks everyone........I feel like an overprotective new mama! Just trying to know the difference between normal exploration and clunking sounds vs. stressed!!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Yes. Thanks very much your help and your prompt reply.