Starred agama?

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hi!
This morning I dragged a lizard literraly out of neighbor's kitten claws. Google tells that it's a starred agama (specie native to Cyprus).

It is alive, alert but its back legs looks paralyzed (it drags them and not a slightest sign of movement).

I have set up a minimal viable enclosure out of old tortoise supplies (40G tank, 75W incandescent ExoTerra Intense Basking Spot lamp).

Can someone point me to trusted agama care sheets?

Attachments

• PXL_20240513_072021171.jpg
    PXL_20240513_072021171.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hi!
This morning I dragged a lizard literraly out of neighbor's kitten claws. Google tells that it's a starred agama (specie native to Cyprus).

It is alive, alert but its back legs looks paralyzed (it drags them and not a slightest sign of movement).

I have set up a minimal viable enclosure out of old tortoise supplies (40G tank, 75W incandescent ExoTerra Intense Basking Spot lamp).

Omg! I know nothing about these guys so hopefully someone comes along.. but what a cutie!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi!

There isn't any that I know of, but care for them should be very similar to care for a bearded dragon, which is also an agamid.

Feed insects with calcium powder on them. Keep it warm and "sunny" during the day, and cool and dark at night. Strong UV for several hours a day, but not 12 hours a day. Basking area of 100-120F (36-50C) degrees directly under the bulb. Warm ambient temps during the day around the low 80sF (26-30C). 60-70F (15-20C) at night. Have a water bowl, and warm soaks might help too.

And this is EXACTLY why house cats should not be running around loose outside. The damage they inflict on local birds and other wildlife is devastating.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
There isn't any that I know of, but care for them should be very similar to care for a bearded dragon, which is also an agamid.

Feed insects with calcium powder on them. Keep it warm and "sunny" during the day, and cool and dark at night. Strong UV for several hours a day, but not 12 hours a day. Basking area of 100-120F (36-50C) degrees directly under the bulb. Warm ambient temps during the day around the low 80sF (26-30C). 60-70F (15-20C) at night. Have a water bowl, and warm soaks might help too.

And this is EXACTLY why house cats should not be running around loose outside. The damage they inflict on local birds and other wildlife is devastating.

Thank you!

I'll get him some live insects tomorrow (a "wild child" doesn't like frozen ones). I see that painted agamas need some plant matter. I will research if it's a part of natural diet for this guy.

Substrate is another question. As always, sand is recommended because "that's what they live on in nature", but some beardies enclosures have no substrate, just some logs and stones.

Agree on cats... The worst part is that most of the cats here are feral and aren't spayed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you!

I'll get him some live insects tomorrow (a "wild child" doesn't like frozen ones). I see that painted agamas need some plant matter. I will research if it's a part of natural diet for this guy.

Substrate is another question. As always, sand is recommended because "that's what they live on in nature", but some beardies enclosures have no substrate, just some logs and stones.

Agree on cats... The worst part is that most of the cats here are feral and aren't spayed.
I like coco coir or reptile carpet for beardies. Everyone seems to have different ideas for beardies, but both of these have worked for me.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I like coco coir or reptile carpet for beardies. Everyone seems to have different ideas for beardies, but both of these have worked for me.
I would prefer coco coir over reptile carpet for a multitude of reasons. Also I think that the thing with having no substrate is trying to eliminate the impaction risk completely. I would still go with some substrate over no substrate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would prefer coco coir over reptile carpet for a multitude of reasons. Also I think that the thing with having no substrate is trying to eliminate the impaction risk completely. I would still go with some substrate over no substrate.
I've been using coco coir for years with my dragons and no signs of any impaction yet.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I haven't found much info on agamas yet. From what I've seen - they prefer more dry and hot environment. Dry coir definitely is not good.

I think, I'll check how the carpet looks like tomorrow. I'm worried that as he (let it be "he" for now) is dragging his back legs his toes will tangle in the carpet.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Alex, please keep us updated on this!
Sure! He is better now - at least back legs position looks more natural. I've found a small puncture on his back, no signs of bleeding (probably he was dragged on concrete).

Here is he basking. We have named him Koulouri for now (traditional cypriot bread with sesame seeds). Haven't seen him using water dish or eating yet.

Attachments

• IMG-20240513-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240513-WA0000.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 3

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I've been using coco coir for years with my dragons and no signs of any impaction yet.
Yeah, I don't think either that coco coir would cause impaction. It just seems to be the most common reason to not have substrate. Basically my point was that I would use substrate, preferably coco coir.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I haven't found much info on agamas yet. From what I've seen - they prefer more dry and hot environment. Dry coir definitely is not good.

I think, I'll check how the carpet looks like tomorrow. I'm worried that as he (let it be "he" for now) is dragging his back legs his toes will tangle in the carpet.
Yeah, one problem with reptile carpet is that sometimes nails can get stuck on it and rip etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sure! He is better now - at least back legs position looks more natural. I've found a small puncture on his back, no signs of bleeding (probably he was dragged on concrete).

Here is he basking. We have named him Koulouri for now (traditional cypriot bread with sesame seeds). Haven't seen him using water dish or eating yet.
They need the stimulation of live moving prey to eat. I prefer roaches, but crickets will work too. Don't leave crickets in there over night.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They need the stimulation of live moving prey to eat. I prefer roaches, but crickets will work too. Don't leave crickets in there over night.
I agree.
Agamas and Curly tails are the two most common lizards in my yard and in my tortoise pens.
If you toss single grapes unto any enclosure, one of them will race out and grab it before it bounces twice. Seemingly from nowhere.
I don't know if they actually eat the grapes. But I'm assuming so because they continue to grab them.
They LOVE a moving target.
At night. The temperature cools down and lizards sleep. Crickets, however search for food at night and they can and will bite off bits of the lizard. I've seen a swarm of small crickets kill a young chameleon and eat him to a skeleton

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He is beautiful. I hope he does OK! (Not just because he is beautiful, of course.)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well, I hope to get some dubia roaches tomorrow. Or some larvae/mealworms. I'm not sure yet that he is able to hunt down and catch a cricket.
He can of you "modify" the crickets hopping legs.
Truth is that crickets offer almost no nutrition aside from what they've been fed. So get you some BUG BURGER or something similar to feed your insects if you decide to dive into lizard keeping.
Or give your crickets or roaches apple slices and kale. Stuff like that.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
He can of you "modify" the crickets hopping legs.
Truth is that crickets offer almost no nutrition aside from what they've been fed. So get you some BUG BURGER or something similar to feed your insects if you decide to dive into lizard keeping.
Or give your crickets or roaches apple slices and kale. Stuff like that.
Thank you!
Yes, I have heard about "gut loading", time to try it :)
The worst thing with crickets is that they don't want their hopping legs to be "modified" :) Likely I will end with a house full of crickets. I hope dubia roaches are in stock...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you!
Yes, I have heard about "gut loading", time to try it :)
The worst thing with crickets is that they don't want their hopping legs to be "modified" :) Likely I will end with a house full of crickets. I hope dubia roaches are in stock...
Captive crickets with food, water and protection don't live long. However if one gets loose in your house, that little SOB will chirp for an entire week!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
A small update:
1. I keep finding him on lying his back. Not sure if it's because of his back legs not working or there is other neurological issue.
2. Haven't seen him hunting roaches yet. He poops daily, perhaps "from the old stocks".
3. After replacing substrate (I've went with coir) and adding a hide I see him exploring a bit (maybe that's why he flips all the time).
4. Besides a puncture on his back there are a few more (on back legs :( ). No bleeding and no signs of rot, hopefully he is healing.

And of course, some pictures.

Attachments

• PXL_20240515_084716987.jpg
    PXL_20240515_084716987.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20240515_040945608.jpg
    PXL_20240515_040945608.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1