Stagger Lee's adventures with cantaloupe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
60 miles south of Chicago
Today was fruit day at our house for Stagger Lee.

He did this about 5 times before he was able to snag a hold of it
"I triez so hard 2 get teh nomz."
3662386749_aae63aefcc.jpg

"YAY! I haz a happy nao!"
3662386755_c6f4d0519d.jpg

"Yummy fruitz"
3662386759_1ecfbf6667.jpg

"U cannot haf mai nomz."
3662386769_96ebfb738d.jpg

BIG BITEZ!
3662386777_a8d6c2af39.jpg

"Whut? I haf nuffin on mai face."
3663203758_19d2c34342.jpg

"Sum more, plz?"
3663203772_e819c79b31.jpg

And I dug around in his cage in search of poop. I had NEVER seen tortoise poo before, so I had no idea what to look for. Plus, it's like searching for a needle in a hay stack when searching for poo in sphagnum moss.
But I found it! His first poo since he's been here (I think).
3663203790_a744ce075c.jpg

That's sphagnum moss on it.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
They does like melon and it's one of best fruits for them. My adults polish off a quarter cantalope in about fifteen minutes.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Funny how important that first poo is to us. I know I was so excited I took pics too. Congratulations for finding it and for Stagger Lees efforts to hide it from you. :) Nice pics.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
Thanks, guys!

Crazy1 said:
Funny how important that first poo is to us. I know I was so excited I took pics too. Congratulations for finding it and for Stagger Lees efforts to hide it from you. :) Nice pics.

Crazy-
Terry told me to put that poo back into his cage to let Stagger eat it!!
I thought he was joking.
He wasn't.
He said that in the wild that is how hatchlings get a lot of their D3.

WHOA.
So, I guess Stagger is going to have a blast nomming on his own turd.
YAY.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Chewbecca said:
Thanks, guys!

Crazy1 said:

Crazy-
Terry told me to put that poo back into his cage to let Stagger eat it!!
I thought he was joking.
He wasn't.
He said that in the wild that is how hatchlings get a lot of their D3.

WHOA.
So, I guess Stagger is going to have a blast nomming on his own turd.
YAY.

Fungi & Feces.. a staple in the wild. See how he likes a 'button' mushroom. Don't slice it and watch him push it around trying to bite it.. until he finds a spot he can bite.. [ when is PhotoBucket gonna get it right? ]

NERD

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I can't say that I would do that for Dale. They might do it in the wild, but they're not in the wild now. For some reason I just think if they don't do it they will still thrive if you're feeding them right. I broke my dog of doing that I don't think I would encourage my tortoise to do it. I guess what I'm saying is what Dale does on his own is fine, but I'm not going to hand it back to him that just doesn't sit right with me. Just my opinion. Sorry if it upsets anyone.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Many animals do this and by doing establish benefical bacteria in the gut. I have observed it in many herbivores including kid goats (to establish the rumen prior to weaning). Young iguanas eat feces of adults (without this behaviour they sicken from malnutrition) . What we are seeing is normal behaviour and shouldn't let our prejudices color our observations.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Itort said:
Many animals do this and by doing establish benefical bacteria in the gut. I have observed it in many herbivores including kid goats (to establish the rumen prior to weaning). Young iguanas eat feces of adults (without this behaviour they sicken from malnutrition) . What we are seeing is normal behaviour and shouldn't let our prejudices color our observations.

It IS all about what is "in-order" for our animals Larry! If we don't allow them to do what's NORMAL for them in the wild.. are we doing what is really best for them? They did fine for 1000's of years without the help of humans, didn't they?

It often amazes me to hear about all of the "issues" that "keepers" have with their animals - like as if we should automatically take our tortoises [ from a reliable breeder ] to a Vet to check for "parasites"! Have you ever had to? I do have a fecal done from [ the rare occasion of ] WC.. or an unknown source.

Terry K

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Great pics, what a cutie.
I'm glad to hear others as intent on seeing first BMs' as I was.
I laugh about it now but was quite worried until both torts had their
first ones.
We are a funny bunch for sure and loving it.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
My CB hatchling has a parasite, a protozoa, he's currently being treated for. We suspect he picked it up being housed with other torts from the breeder...

I would always take a tort to the vet for a fecal no matter where the source was. Trevor had no symptoms and we would have otherwise never suspected anything. Also, the first test didn't pick it up (when I first got him), only the second one a few months later.

I still get happy to see Trevor's poop everyday. His very first one was many days after I got him so we were waiting intently for it! Today he decided to rub his poopy but on his enclosure wall so I had a fun little mess to clean....

Stagger Lee is adorable!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
No Poo debating here. This is fact. Most animals, yes including people, have parasites and or protozoa living within them. It is when their numbers become too much for our bodies to handle that there is a problem. Torts are no different. If they have pinworms, etc. it is the number of pinworms you have to worry about. This will show that a young tort may be compromised or that something is wrong. Most hatchlings seek out poo to eat to give them the beneficial bacteria their system needs. This hopefully is its own species poo but often in the wild or back yard it is something elses.

Now I know some of us are so germ phobic and/or find eating poo so distasteful that they could not even think of letting their animals eat it. But as disgusting as it sounds to us evidently it isn't to them. If you don't see them do it, it doesn't mean they don't. I always have to laugh when people (don’t get me wrong I hate the idea of things like pinworms in me) let their dogs lick them on the face or mouth and don’t even think where that tongue may have just been and they think thats OK. LOL.
If you have a tort it is just something you learn to live with. Or pick up what you see and they get what you don’t.

Kate, if I remember right you got Trevor from a pet store. I would bet it was the torts he was housed with there. Most good breeders would not hesitate to place one of their hatchlings in a pen where the adults or other hatchlings are (not to have it trampled or picked on). Because they would know they are not sick. And if you have placed Trevor in the yard he may have picked it up there (depending on what it is). And I hope his treatment goes well.

Chewbecca, I didn’t mean to continue on this topic in your thread or take anything away from Stagger Lee.
He is, as Kate said, adorable and with your care and Terry’s teachings, he will live to be a beautiful healthy happy RF.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Stagger Lee is quickly becoming one of my favorite RF! Keep those pix and narratives coming!
About poo...Penelope's first poo was an ordinary one; the second one, however, was a gourd-shape. It was so neat I kept it in a box and showed it to some people. You tort lovers reassure me that I was not as demented as I appeared to be. :D

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
Aw, thanks, guys!

Honestly, I don't mind if the thread goes off topic, I just didn't mean for my poo picture to start a debate on poo eating.

I'm sure (especially) hatchlings eat their poo more often than any of us even know.
Speaking of poo, Stagger was soaking in his water bowl this morning, wiggled his little cute tortie butt, and pooped right in his bowl.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
I bet he has the cuttest little wiggly tortie butt too. :)

He DOES! :D

He's loving his new enclosure. Today was fruit day, and he ate some prickly pear and some plum.
I thought he was going to have issues with the prickly pear, but he ate it right up. And he slopped up the plum.
Then he wandered around for a bit, and now he's back in his hide.:D

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Chewbecca said:
Aw, thanks, guys!

Honestly, I don't mind if the thread goes off topic, I just didn't mean for my poo picture to start a debate on poo eating.

I'm sure (especially) hatchlings eat their poo more often than any of us even know.
Speaking of poo, Stagger was soaking in his water bowl this morning, wiggled his little cute tortie butt, and pooped right in his bowl.

Aw gee Chewbe.. now you got me blushing! But thanks to you.. [ never thought a hatchling would create such a stir ] Stagger Lee has become an attraction. He'll be a(nother) prime example of the impact proper husbandry has on hatchling tortoises for life -- providing they were "started" right.. eating regularly before made available to new owner.. fed properly from then on { which does include "recycling" the nutrients/bacteria, etc. in their own poop } and allowed to live in an environment that fits their needs as close to nature as possible!

Most of the 'older' ones here have heard me say - These little guys are "Poop eating reptiles.. not 'Ming' vases"! They are almost BULLET-PROOF ------- they [ babies ] have to be.. based on how they are treated by too many [ keepers??? ]! Those that have their 'self' as more important than their [ totally dependent ] redfoot.

Keep up the good work Chewbe.. I'm glad he's in your care..
BOWDOWN.gif

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.