Sprouting Seeds

Rowlet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I was wondering if it was safe to feed my five month old Hermann's tortoise greens that just sprouted (about two inches)? A couple weeks ago I planted turnip greens, collard greens, and the broadleaf testudo mix that sprouted immediately and have been feeding tortoise the clippings. I keep reading about how bad oxalic acid is for torts and worry that the newly sprouted plants might contain too much oxalic acid. Thank you in advance.

Prairie Mom

I have fed my tortoise young seedlings many times. I've never even thought that the amount of oxalic acid would be higher in younger plants. -I honestly doubt it, but can't give you an educated answer. My guess is that it would just depend on the type of plant and how much oxalic acid it has in it period. Collard greens are pretty high in oxalic acid, so don't over-do those. Turnip greens are really LOW, so that's a good one to keep coming:) Happy growing!

Rowlet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I have fed my tortoise young seedlings many times. I've never even thought that the amount of oxalic acid would be higher in younger plants. -I honestly doubt it, but can't give you an educated answer. My guess is that it would just depend on the type of plant and how much oxalic acid it has in it period. Collard greens are pretty high in oxalic acid, so don't over-do those. Turnip greens are really LOW, so that's a good one to keep coming:) Happy growing!
Thank you Prairie Mom. I'll cut back on the collard greens even though my tortoise loves them.