Spring time already?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
So we've been having some great weather. After a very cold december (for these parts anyway) getting down in the low teens for over a week, January has been a different beast. We've had mild and mostly sunny days this month. A few days getting over 60 degrees! And of course, my outdoor torts loved it! And my boxies woke up and caught some sunshine too.

I even took the opportunity to give the two bigger torts a bath in their pool.

This is tank. I've had him since Sept or Oct. He's pretty shy still, but was doing well this day.
29083_75693_Large_VCvwNnfJCP.jpg

29083_59312_Large_P5WL7Q0ekA8.jpg

29083_75689_Large_jhEnh16JzJUzw.jpg

29083_75690_Large_ZYXZXAJzUVF.jpg

29083_75691_Large_YSUyDiH6TU0.jpg

29083_75692_Large_bvzgWOIvwsU8WC.jpg

Then out came Dozer looking for trouble.
26836_75694_Large_iYgyJfueBneOMJK.jpg

He wasn't too thrilled with his bath, but I figured it was overdue. And the 60+ degree sunny day left no excuse.
26836_75695_Large_h1eaKtm5r8eiS.jpg

26836_75696_Large_ATfrfqKJflslivI.jpg

26836_75697_Large_FqT5PDWIP6NjdG.jpg

Then i decided to let Tank in the bigger pen with Dozer. Tank didn't care a bit that Dozer was there. He just ignored him and kept right on eating. Dozer was actually pretty calm (the cold bath may have played a role in that) and just sniffed Tank and checked him out for a few minutes, then went back to his heated shed. I'm hoping this summer I can let them be together. But no big deal if they need to stay seperated. This was a good step though. They have been in line of sight and smell for some time now, so I think that has helped.
26836_75698_Large_MwUyIxZPTOvt.jpg

26836_75699_VeryLarge_ny3kcKGz3BYMv.jpg

Then I caught a boxie out snoozing in the sunshine :cool:
22999_75688_Large_Q6ocjF4R63CkVu.jpg

chadk

10 Year Member!
terracolson said:
Nice, here in Nor cal my box turtles and Russian are not even stirring

My 2 russians are inside for the winter. Next year I think I'll let them be outside and hibernate. My little sullie is also indoors. She'll be in a small pen for the summer outside, but will be indoors the rest of the time until she is another pound or so bigger.

Oh, I'm about 45 mins from Seattle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you keep the Russians outside for the winter, make sure their hibernatorium doesn't get wet. They are very susceptible to illness and death if allowed to be wet while hibernating.

chadk

10 Year Member!
How do you define 'wet'? Damp substrate? Or a good soaking from rain filtering down to them? I've been checking on my boxies now and then, and it is definatley damp in one hide and mostly dry in another (I add some damp leaves now and then) because it has a plastic covering. The other is just a screen lid covered with a big pile of leaves - so water can filter down just a little. For the russians, their pen will be on a slope next to the house and I'll be able to build a good subsurface winter hide protected from the elements with nice deep substrate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All I know is from my own experience. When I can't find some of them in the fall to box up and bring inside for hibernating, I usually find them dead outside in the spring time. They were under a plywood overhang, under layers of straw, but osmosis carried the moisture into the dirt around them, so they weren't WET, but the ground was moist.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Those are great photos, Chad! You can almost see the more aggressive expression on Dozer's face. :cool:

Was it Dozer or Tank who "went bad" on you when you were doing some outdoor work last fall? I would think Dozer, but I remember you said it took you by surprise at the time, so maybe it was Tank? :p

chadk

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
All I know is from my own experience. When I can't find some of them in the fall to box up and bring inside for hibernating, I usually find them dead outside in the spring time. They were under a plywood overhang, under layers of straw, but osmosis carried the moisture into the dirt around them, so they weren't WET, but the ground was moist.

Good to know! I'll be sure to do more research on this before trying it.

M

Maggie Cummings

It froze here again last night and hasn't gotten over 40 degrees for months. I hate having a dirty car and the hoses are frozen so I can't wash it and it's driving me crazy...(play on words) sun? What sun?

chadk

10 Year Member!
Stephanie Logan said:
Those are great photos, Chad! You can almost see the more aggressive expression on Dozer's face. :cool:

Was it Dozer or Tank who "went bad" on you when you were doing some outdoor work last fall? I would think Dozer, but I remember you said it took you by surprise at the time, so maybe it was Tank? :p

Yes, it was Dozer that went on the rampage. Rammed me. Rammed my cordless drill. Rammed the dog a few times... Rammed my son. And it was Dozer that battled me for the pizza :) But 99% of the time, he's mellow.

Tank is a total sweetheart. So is the littlest one, Thunder. My female russian is also sweet, but VERY outgoing. My male russian is a stinker though. Head bobbing and nipping the female, and sometimes me. But nothing serious - just a slight attitude... Luckily, the female is way bigger than the male (biggest russian i've seen.

maggie3fan said:
It froze here again last night and hasn't gotten over 40 degrees for months. I hate having a dirty car and the hoses are frozen so I can't wash it and it's driving me crazy...(play on words) sun? What sun?

That's odd. I thought we were closer in our temps. It has been so mild here lately. Today the torts were out for at least an hour. It was close to 50 I think, and should be the same all week.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I love all of your pictures Chad. Very nice looking tortoises you have there and I expecially liked the one of the boxie sleeping. That was too cute. It reminded me of my dogs when they go out and sleep in the sun. I guess there's not much difference in the animal kingdom. :D I sure hope when spring comes that they'll get along they look like they're O.K. right now, but you never know do you? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.