Spider torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Not really ;) It's all really plastrons that are the key. :D Carapace color is very variable with all 3 subspecies.

Danny

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I'm seeing this. I've got a Pyxis arachnoides arachnoides. The guy at the show was wrong. I thank you, I've learned more about these guys in 3 days on here than 3 months of research.

olgas

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Perfect, a spider thread!
I have a colony of P. arachnoides arachoides that I worry about every winter. They aestivate, and the last two years, one of them didn't make it. They stop eating completely, and burry themselves. Is there anything I can do to avoid losing any more? I have no idea why the two died. They seemed healthy before aestivation, and had good weight.

they are in a soil enclosure. I keep the soil moist. The ambient temp is 65-75, heat bulb about 90. There's lots of plant cover and they are very active all summer in their outdoors enclosure. They come in in the fall, and they're active for a little while they're laying, and then they stop eating and dissappear for 4 months. I should point out the babies stay active all winter and are under the same environmental conditions, but in a different, smaller enclosure.
thanks
olga

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Olga,
The ambient temperatures you mention are they the ones now? I let mine dry out in the winter and just water them once a week. I haven't lost anyone doing this. They really need to be dry to really go into aestivation.
The babies I have are active all winter, but as they get older and closer to adulthood they will aestivate also. I have just gotten to adult size and subadults that are aestivating.

Danny

olgas

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Danny,
yes, that's the temp in their room now. Last year I tried drying them out a bit more and lost my favorit girl. It's probably not related.....but of course this year I'm keeping them a bit wetter. The year before I tried keeping the room warmer (above 70). I just don't know what's going on. They use to handle the winters fine.
Do yours eat at all during the aestivation?
Olga

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Mine are 70 at night and get up to the low to mid 80's during the day during the winter.
The WC adults stop eating altogether, but the CB animals will eat every 3 to 7 days the whole winter.

Danny

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Danny, love the pics!!! They have the coolest markings. Can you tell me in general what a spider would go for? A lady a while back was selling some here locally but they didn't look that good and she wanted 1800 to 2000. Is that a normal price for them? just curious.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Jen,
Thanks :D That's way to expensive for just one Spider tortoise, even a bit high for a pair. The ones I sell are much lower, from $250 to $500 each.

Danny

olgas

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks Danny,
I'll let them dry out a bit more and cross my fingers.
I was hauling them out and soaking them twice a month or so.... I should stop bothering them and disrupting their aestivation. Maybe that's the problem. It just freaks me out that they aren't eating or drinking for months.
Olga

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I was thinking that. I just love the different patterns they have.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
egyptiandan said:
Hi Jen,
Thanks :D That's way to expensive for just one Spider tortoise, even a bit high for a pair. The ones I sell are much lower, from $250 to $500 each.

Danny

Oooooooo mental note taken for future reference!!!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks Danny Ive been to several shows and have not found one for under 1000.
I'm making a mental note for future references also.

Status
Not open for further replies.