Sphagnum moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
Hi my 8 month year old marginated is eating sphagnum moss that I put in today COR his humid hide, is this ok ??

(For) his humid hide

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Should be okay if he only eats a bit of it. You need to monitor if he keeps eating it though. Might need to replace it with another substrate if he does.

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
Yeah might do that, I got aspen with him and he seems to like burying down into that, he was not keen when I replaced it with the moss, I'll watch him for a couple of days see what he's like, I have a section in his table where I have introduced Eco earth, if he is still not keen on the moss in a few days I'll put the Eco earth in his hide

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't let him eat it. Could cause problems. Coconut coir won't cause impaction or plain dirt.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
My new hatchlings always eat it. Some eat quite a bit of it at some points in time. I think people need to realize, its a plant. Obviously not a diet choice, but unless eaten regularly every day, large amounts, it will not hurt the tortoise...Its not something to worry about. Most tortoises, when first given spaghum moss, will eat it. It won't cause any impaction.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I agree with Peter. Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've never used sphagnum before and I heard it is acidic. How you treat your moss before using it? Do we need to boil it to reduce acidity, soak, or just direct use it?

I have concern with the acidity as fungi will grow more in acid condition and I plan to use moss soon.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Yellow Turtle said:
I agree with Peter. Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've never used sphagnum before and I heard it is acidic. How you treat your moss before using it? Do we need to boil it to reduce acidity, soak, or just direct use it?

I have concern with the acidity as fungi will grow more in acid condition and I plan to use moss soon.

That is an interesting thought, boiling it, but I'm not sure if it will reduce acidity or not. Yes, it is acidic, but I've been using it as a full substrate for hatchlings for years with no issues. Just be careful with hygiene. Plus, the brands such as Mosser-Lee are made to not grow fungus. I've never had it grow mold or fungus of any sort.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
From my understanding concerning sphagnum moss acidity is that this acidity actually prevents the growth of mold. I've used sphagnum moss in various applications with reptiles for better than 25 yrs and I've never had a mold problem. And I'm talking about good old fashioned organic untreated moss.
Aspen shavings on the other hand are a respiratory problem waiting to happen. Weather it's from mold growing in the shavings when wet, or from the fine dust present when dry.

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
Cheers i took it out last night and put it back today ha ha, he int to happy with the moss, and needs a bit if encouraging

Sorry pressed send before I was finished, but I'll persevere with the moss, he doesn't seem keen to dig down Into it, hopefully he'll get used to it, I'm gradually taken the aspen out.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My hide box is damp sphagnum moss. For the first 3 nights, I had to place his front end in the box and gently push his hind end. Now he goes in on his own.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Cowboy_Ken said:
From my understanding concerning sphagnum moss acidity is that this acidity actually prevents the growth of mold. I've used sphagnum moss in various applications with reptiles for better than 25 yrs and I've never had a mold problem. And I'm talking about good old fashioned organic untreated moss.
Aspen shavings on the other hand are a respiratory problem waiting to happen. Weather it's from mold growing in the shavings when wet, or from the fine dust present when dry.

My understanding is if it is very acidic then fungi and bacteria can't grow on it. If it's slightly acidic, it will encourage mold growth but still prevent most bacteria. I also read article of mold growth on sphagnum when used as plant media. I don't know how acid is sphagnum, but experience speaks for itself. Looks pretty safe to use from your experience.

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
Cheers all, it's back in his hide, problem is, he's on a protest and won't go back in the hide, I have called him Gandhi, but didn't expect him to lodge a protest against the moss, any tips on getting Gandhi back in his hide!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.