Speedy got his head stuck!!

GreedySpeedy

Location (City and/or State)
Surrey, UK
When out in the garden today Speedy was put in a temporary run whilst I got the washing in. Speedy managed to get his arm through the bar (obviously trying to escape as we all know Russians are renowned for!!) As I went over to free his arm he pushed his head through the bar and got it stuck!! After much hissing (him trying to get back into his shell) and pulling with his arms he managed to free his head but it left the skin around the bottom of his head (sorry I don't know the technical name for it) looking like a lions mane :(

UPDATE: I have just been up and checked and the skin has now ruffled up and isn't 'hanging' down anymore

Do I need to be worried? Will it just fall off (the skin that has come away) or does he need to see a vet?

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
As long as it isn't red I think he should be okay.

Just keep an eye on him
Also if you can take a picture of it then we will be able to help you more :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Can you post a picture?
But it sounds like nothing to worry about as others have said.

GreedySpeedy

Surrey, UK
I can't get a good picture of his neck to show you what it looks like :( I'll keep trying though and i'll definitely keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get red :)

Just one last quick question if it is just dead skin will it just come off eventually from it rubbing on his shell when he goes in and out of it?

Thanks everyone for your help I don't know what i'd do without this forum

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If it is just dead skin it will rub off as your tort goes about its business. Don't expect it to be quick. They can look frayed at the best of times! It happens :)