Soon to be sulcata owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

stena29

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Porterville ca
tyguy35 said:
I'm not te sulcata expert but os that small for a sulcata at 3 months. Just wondering I'm not sure. Yes though always have them apart. One could be sick in any way and pass it on.

I have a sulcata that is a month old and she is almost three inches...maybe he meant three weeks?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
stenaeaton said:
I have a sulcata that is a month old and she is almost three inches...maybe he meant three weeks?

Oh well then I might MIGHT not get one from him then I'll check them out and ask how old they are.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
So should I not get it from this guy and get it from someone else?

In the end it Is all up to you. There are plenty of breeders on here. The people on here can tell you everything you need to know.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
3" at three months sounds reasonable. But what you need to know is HOW this tortoise was started after hatchling and how it has been cared for ever since. Have you seen the heartbreak threads where people buy these dry routine tortoises and they die months down the road after lots of frustration and vet bills? Its awful and easy to avoid. Just a couple of simple questions. Have you read this yet?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hatchling-Failure-Syndrome#axzz20NwLOA5G

If the tortoise was well cared for then by all means proceed with the sale, if thats what you want. If is has been kept dry and chronically dehydrated, then buy one elsewhere.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Tom said:
3" at three months sounds reasonable. But what you need to know is HOW this tortoise was started after hatchling and how it has been cared for ever since. Have you seen the heartbreak threads where people buy these dry routine tortoises and they die months down the road after lots of frustration and vet bills? Its awful and easy to avoid. Just a couple of simple questions. Have you read this yet?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hatchling-Failure-Syndrome#axzz20NwLOA5G

If the tortoise was well cared for then by all means proceed with the sale, if thats what you want. If is has been kept dry and chronically dehydrated, then buy one elsewhere.

Will it be harder to keep alive at 2 weeks old? Because the other person I know I know everything about and its only 3 weeks old. And eating well.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
For a three month old 3" is pretty typical. Ask the breeder for some pics of how they are being kept. In fact there are plenty of people on this forum who breed sulcatas so why not get one from here that you know is raised right?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A well cared for, well hydrated three week old, will fare much better, be healthier, grow better, and be much more likely to see his first birthday than a dry routine 3 month old, in my opinion. As long as your temps and set up are correct, a baby should do just fine for you.

I just want to see you succeed and starting with a poorly cared for tortoise, will not help that goal. I don't know how well, or how poorly, either of the tortoises you are looking at were cared for. I'm just trying to give YOU the knowledge and info to make a wise choice.

Have you asked each seller what substrate they use and how often the babies are soaked?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Tom said:
A well cared for, well hydrated three week old, will fare much better, be healthier, grow better, and be much more likely to see his first birthday than a dry routine 3 month old, in my opinion. As long as your temps and set up are correct, a baby should do just fine for you.

I just want to see you succeed and starting with a poorly cared for tortoise, will not help that goal. I don't know how well, or how poorly, either of the tortoises you are looking at were cared for. I'm just trying to give YOU the knowledge and info to make a wise choice.

Have you asked each seller what substrate they use and how often the babies are soaked?

I'll get him from the second one person

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
If I can't get him there I'll get him from someone on here.

Tom said:

Yes my Russian had a lot of shell decay when I got him (and he still has a little) so I want a new start from the beginning with a healthy shell and healthy tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.