Something isn't right - unhappy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
I know this might be very vague but SOMETHING isn't right and I don't know what. How do you know if a tortoise is unhappy? Do most torts just lie around all day? Cause thats all mine does... lies under a log all day. She hasn't eaten much these past few days, and hasnt been walking around a lot. She's breathing rather heavily and seems fed up and miserable.

I've also noticed either her beak is too long, or there are two chips in it, one on either side of the beak and she's struggling to eat as the food gets stuck in the chips. I have no idea how she's done this.

What can/should I do? If anything? I dont like thinking she's unhappy.

19 months old.
Humidity: 70% - 45%
Cool end: 27oC
Warm end: 35oC
Basking spot: 37oC

I seem to be posting a lot lately, sorry, it just seems one thing after another... :(

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
What kind of substrate are you using? Have you tried baby food soaks in nice warm water? That has helped me tremendously when my tortoises are a little "off".

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Moistened coco coir. Yeah I think i'll give her a nice long soak tomorrow (she's in bed now) and get her some fresh/different food as she could be bored of what she has...?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Substrate good. I have found that spa time, under the basking light, really helps. I soak mine for half and hour. The experts on the forum have suggested carrot baby food, or squash baby food, or liquid bird vitamins in the water. For the not eating, chop or scissor everything into small pieces and mix in some naughty goodies, like a strawberry or a piece of cucumber or whatever food you know your tortoise likes and see if that helps entice. Keep you temperatures warm with the moist coco, maybe even a little boost up. Keep us in the loop. Other, more experienced keepers than I may have more suggestions.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
If she is breathing heavily and not eating I would take her to a vet. Check to see if her nose is runny. Sometimes they will stop eating because they can not smell and with heavy breathing I would want to rule out any upper respiratory issues.

Sorry I just read the beak problem . Can you take a close up picture of your concern and maybe someone can help.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
She is eating, just not as much as usual. But im thinking she might be bored of kale as I've ran out of mixed leaves. She's had kale the past four days. Nose isn't runny. She was whistling the other day and seems lethargic. I bumped up the temps to 29 for three days and have since brought them back to 27. I hope she doesn't need to see a vet, he's really rough with her... Maybe I'm just a soft owner.

She ate a big chunk of cactus today though and I've had a stranger (to her) in the house the past couple of days. Could this be anything to do with it?

Also, anything that suggests a tortoise is unhappy?

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I think your a good owner. It's better to catch things early. Keep us posted . I hope she doesn't either. Penelope loved to eat but it seems now and then she slows down for a day or do. Hoping that's all it is for you. Your tort is blessed to have you care so much about her:)

This iPhone a day or do... No I don't talk like this lol

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Seems you may have been right! She's been perkier today, ate nearly all of her food, had a nice long soak, but is still whistling! Im thinking I need to change her coco coir - its been in there since november now, might have a few spores in it or something. Plus the "stranger" has gone so she's a bit more relaxed - trampling around my room as per usual, trying to eat my things. I'll still keep an eye on her as always.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Managed to get a good picture of her beak today... is this too long? Ive absolutely no idea about beaks...

She was in the middle of a yawn here, but it shows her beak well.

2013-03-31 07.29.03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, that little bit in front needs to be clipped off.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
i dont feel confident doing it myself, and wouldnt know how anyway so im going to get a vet to do it. Is it a traumatic experience for them? Im guessing its just like nail and doesnt hurt? And thanks for the reply.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Remind me what size is your enclosure and what type of lighting and heating are you using. What are your night temps?

The whistling, lethargy and going off food are all bad signs.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Ive come to the conclusion that the whistling is down to the coco coir needing to be changed as it is dusty now. Its also not as bad as it was, its mainly when shes stressed. Using a zoomed tort house but im expanding it to two houses soon. Shes 137mm long. Lighting UVA/UVB heat lamp, not coil bulb. Heating for night time is a CHE. Temps: cool - 27oc, night 27-24oc, warm end - 40oc (this needs to come down, right?)

Lethargy and eating is no longer a problem - shes eating like a pig these past few days. Just the beak seems to have crept up on me within weeks! ive heard you can use a regular nail file?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Basking temp of 39-40 is fine.

I think nights temps of 24 are too cool with humidity. I would not let it go below 27.

If she's able to eat, I would leave the beak alone. It will "level out" on its own.

More room to walk will help I think. You'll just have to make sure it stays warm enough.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I think space is a big issue for you. If my leo was stuck in a zoomed tort house all day, he would be bored and lethargic too.

IMO 2 zoomed houses still wouldn't cut it. Not for a full time enclosure. Everyone is different and has different available resources but to me lots and LOTS of space is a must for my torts.

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
Sometimes with the coco-coir you just need to dump water into it and stir it up, or it gets dusty like you've experienced.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I re-moistened the coco coir yesterday, I try and do it every 4/5 days. It seems to have helped. Okay I've figured out a way to get the temps no lower than 27. I just moved the che to the opposite end to the thermostat.
About her beak, she is eating but struggles with food getting stuck behind it... Should I see a vet or wait and see how it progresses?
Unfortunately I'm providing as much room as I possibly can until a) summer and b) I move out :(

Siren Nora

5 Year Member
I have a tube connected to a humidifier so when her humidity falls I can slowly, calmly, and naturally pick it up. My Lil tort sometimes lays in the humidifier air soaking it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.