Solar meter model 6.5 or 6.2

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
The fog and the marine layer do filter out some UVB, but more importantly, its cold up there where you are for much of the year. Their skin needs to be warm for the UVB to work its magic. This is why we usually tell people to mount the indoor UV near the heat lamp. Putting a tortoise outside on a foggy or cold cloudy day is pretty pointless.

the portion of the process that is dependent on temperature occurs after the portion dependent on uvb. so outside exposure to uvb followed by indoor basking could possibly be a viable method when uvb isnt available inside. also, the temperature dependent portion can occur at temperatures substantially lower then what is frequently cited as 'basking temperatures', it just happens slower.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@ZEROPILOT - that is good reasoning! Thanks for making this point

I'm on the fence here since I try to give my young tortoise about 2 hours per week (30-45 minutes at a time) of sun outdoors. I am in a fog zone in coastal california though and need to research UVB and cloud cover ... but for now I just use incandescent bulbs in indoor closed containers for heat and light, and rely on outdoor sun.

BTW I see the 6.5 and or 6.5R go on sale sometimes so if anyone sees that, would be great to post to the forum!
Contact JOSH'S FROGS.
They have some fantastic customer service.
Ask them if they're expecting any sale price on their 6.5R any time soon.
It can't hurt.

thompsono

Pacifica and Oakland, CA
@Tom @jaizei @ZEROPILOT thanks for your input. I definitely watch my outdoor temps here. It’s crazy how much neighborhood microclimates vary in the Bay Area. While I really value simplicity and “use what you have”,( and avoiding the purchase of a bunch of crap!) I think my climate here requires a good Arcadia uv bulb and solarmeter 6.5. At some point the fog won’t burn off and give me those windows of light and warmth for their outdoor time.

Also I think this forum has helped me as a new tortoise keeper NOT to buy the junk out there and focus on what’s truly needed. So thanks! Especially @Tom primers. Yes I have a bunch of mistakenly purchased items but mostly those come from things I thought I needed before reading the core articles here and realizing I was wrong!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@Tom @jaizei @ZEROPILOT thanks for your input. I definitely watch my outdoor temps here. It’s crazy how much neighborhood microclimates vary in the Bay Area. While I really value simplicity and “use what you have”,( and avoiding the purchase of a bunch of crap!) I think my climate here requires a good Arcadia uv bulb and solarmeter 6.5. At some point the fog won’t burn off and give me those windows of light and warmth for their outdoor time.

Also I think this forum has helped me as a new tortoise keeper NOT to buy the junk out there and focus on what’s truly needed. So thanks! Especially @Tom primers. Yes I have a bunch of mistakenly purchased items but mostly those come from things I thought I needed before reading the core articles here and realizing I was wrong!
Many keepers have and still do spend hundreds of dollars or more on "junk". Useless bulbs and enclosures and tortoise related pet shop crap that's totally inappropriate or even downright dangerous.
(In fact. I have)
A high quality T5 lighting system. A solar meter, a thermostat and maybe a non contact digital thermometer are items that will pay for themselves. And make your success much less difficult.
They're also items that do not usually break. So you're going to get years or decades of use out of them.

thompsono

Pacifica and Oakland, CA
@Blackdog1714 I would have bought it but already ended up getting a new one. too bad - I am sure if you keep posting it will sell easily.

I am glad i bit the bullet and bought one - i wasn't relying on uvb lighting but rather recular sun time. But I did discover the 25w spots I had were basically putting out nothing for UVB even though that is what they are sold as, and the 50w were only 1.2 UVB output at like 1" away! I was not using them anyway, but it was interesting to see how random and basically non-functional they are. I did buy a Arcadia fixture with 12.5 desert bulb, and mounted it 6" up to get right readings. I still take them out for real sun though, but being in coastal CA there are fog days that are too cold and dont really give enough UVB

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
@Blackdog1714 I would have bought it but already ended up getting a new one. too bad - I am sure if you keep posting it will sell easily.

I am glad i bit the bullet and bought one - i wasn't relying on uvb lighting but rather recular sun time. But I did discover the 25w spots I had were basically putting out nothing for UVB even though that is what they are sold as, and the 50w were only 1.2 UVB output at like 1" away! I was not using them anyway, but it was interesting to see how random and basically non-functional they are. I did buy a Arcadia fixture with 12.5 desert bulb, and mounted it 6" up to get right readings. I still take them out for real sun though, but being in coastal CA there are fog days that are too cold and dont really give enough UVB

The 25 & 50w are/were halogen?

thompsono

Pacifica and Oakland, CA
I had LED spots I had used in an different reptile enclosure. I was just really surprised that brand new 25 w put out no measureable UVB. I found out a 50 watt Zoomed LED spot was also putting out 0 uvb, and the 50 watt ones I bought from amazon were also very low - 1.2 UVB when measured 1" from the light. So like other people have said, the Solarmeter 6.5R definitely confirms what you are getting, and saves the guesswork. But the idea that it pays for itself in bulbs at some point ... well that would take a very long time in my case.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I had LED spots I had used in an different reptile enclosure. I was just really surprised that brand new 25 w put out no measureable UVB. I found out a 50 watt Zoomed LED spot was also putting out 0 uvb, and the 50 watt ones I bought from amazon were also very low - 1.2 UVB when measured 1" from the light. So like other people have said, the Solarmeter 6.5R definitely confirms what you are getting, and saves the guesswork. But the idea that it pays for itself in bulbs at some point ... well that would take a very long time in my case.
It may have been a little pricey, but when it was mentioned that it may pay for itself. I believe that the benefits of the meter will be priceless for your Tortoises health! It's alot to spend for a 1 button meter, but well worth it and it work's great.