Soaking

Annabel

Location (City and/or State)
Hawai'i
Aloha
Can someone give me specific directions about soaking my Russian tortoise please? I don't want her to get dehydrated.
Mahalo!

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
It depends on how old your tortoise is. Babies need to be soaked daily and the number decreases as they grow older. My russians never use their water dish so i soak them 3-4 times a day. This is because they came to me fairly dehydrated already. Many just soak them twice a week. Or none at all if they use their water dish often.
My russians are 5.5" and 3.5" by the way. And i soak them for 15-20 minutes.
Daily soaks for older tortoises wont harm them either

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
My bestfriend lives & goes to school in Hawaii, she goes to University of Hawaii in Manoa!

Rue

Canada
There's no hard and fast 'rule'. If you search for answers on this site, you'll come up with the gamut of routines.

I soak my Hermann's 3X a week. I start with water that is about 95 F/ 35 C. She soaks for 15 minutes. By then the water has cooled a bit, which is fine.

I keep her substrate moist. I have also seen her drink from her water bowl, so I know she'll drink if thirsty.

So far, so good!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If your Russian tortoise is a store-bought tortoise it is probably close to, if not full grown. In my opinion, full grown tortoises can hydrate themselves. Provide a waterer and keep fresh water in it. I like to place it along the fence-line so they walk through it in their wanderings. I don't soak any of my grown tortoises.

When I have a tortoise in the house, babies or ill tortoises, I understand that the lights and heat tend to dry the animals out quickly. So for in-the-house tortoises, I soak them daily for about 15 minutes each time. BUT I have no occasion to have healthy, full grown tortoises in the house. These are only babies or ill tortoises.

I am a firm believer that healthy, full grown tortoises do better outside and should be set up outside in a safe and secure yard.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A tort that is new to you should be soaked daily until until you are sure that it is eating and drinking properly and these are established.

If it seems to be unwell or has stopped eating completely, it should be soaked twice daily.

Each soak should be for a good 20 minutes in warm, not hot, water in a high sided bowl that he can't see over or through.

The water should just come over the plastron (undershell) when he's relaxed and not standing.

I recommend doing the soak first thing before your tort warms up properly as he is more likely to relax and less likely to want out.

Pooping in the water is normal - as is eating the poop - just fish it out or change the water.

It's also normal for a tort to completely submerge their head when drinking, but they don't always do it.

Have food in the enclosure when he's done. Joe always seems starving after his bath!