So confused

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Manassas,VA
For a new person trying to do the right thing there is so much information and very confusing because I don't know what works for what tortoise, climate, location. Trying to sift through all the threads is making my head hurt.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The info on this forum is pretty constant in regards to care

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're right. The care information is species specific. You have to go by what's written up for your particular species. RF care is quite different from sulcata care.

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
Its not care, its all the enclosure info. I live in Virginia and most of what I've seen is not here. Its looking like I will have two enclosures, one for warm weather outside and controlled inside.

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
Its not care, its all the enclosure info. I live in Virginia and most of what I've seen is not here. Its looking like I will have two enclosures, one for warm weather outside and controlled inside.
I'm sorry I'm not trying to be difficult, I just want to make sure I don't make anymore mistakes. Thank you for your patience

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I believe @Turtulas-Len lives in Virginia or there abouts. Maybe he can drop in here and show you a picture of where his big sulcata lives year round.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I too live in Virginia and have an indoor and outdoor eclosure for my Russian. We all four seasons with some wacky winters!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For a new person trying to do the right thing there is so much information and very confusing because I don't know what works for what tortoise, climate, location. Trying to sift through all the threads is making my head hurt.
My preference for a younger, smaller tortoise is to have both and indoor and an outdoor enclosure up and running. I use the indoor enclosure for nights and cooler weather, and the outdoor enclosure when the temps and weather are good. Then, depending on species and climate, I like to move them outside full time with a heated night box when they are big enough.

There are many many variables such as species, size, age, climate, current weather, season, and where you live. The biggest variable of all is people's personal options and experiences that lead them to make the assertions they make. A lot of what you read is info parroted by people with little first hand experience. A lot of websites and books still parrot and promote the old incorrect info. It can certainly be overwhelming and confusing. You should feel free to ask all your questions here. When you get answers, question them. Ask for more explanation. Ask why someone is saying what they are saying. Ask what their answer is based on. This should never be taken as an insult. I take this as people trying to learn more and understand why they are doing what they are doing. We are all here to talk tortoises. Your questions will fuel the conversation. :)

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
My preference for a younger, smaller tortoise is to have both and indoor and an outdoor enclosure up and running. I use the indoor enclosure for nights and cooler weather, and the outdoor enclosure when the temps and weather are good. Then, depending on species and climate, I like to move them outside full time with a heated night box when they are big enough.

There are many many variables such as species, size, age, climate, current weather, season, and where you live. The biggest variable of all is people's personal options and experiences that lead them to make the assertions they make. A lot of what you read is info parroted by people with little first hand experience. A lot of websites and books still parrot and promote the old incorrect info. It can certainly be overwhelming and confusing. You should feel free to ask all your questions here. When you get answers, question them. Ask for more explanation. Ask why someone is saying what they are saying. Ask what their answer is based on. This should never be taken as an insult. I take this as people trying to learn more and understand why they are doing what they are doing. We are all here to talk tortoises. Your questions will fuel the conversation. :)
Thank you. I have never been part of a forum before so everything is new.

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
So the cost of building the night boxes is steep enough that I only want to do it if I'm not bringing them back inside. Just trying to get the best option for them at the best cost.

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
Part of the problem is I need to separate them and build a second enclosure so I'm trying to decide if I spend the budget on a great outdoor space with a double night box or just build another inside box until they get bigger.

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
Tom what would you say the cost of building the double night box would be?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom what would you say the cost of building the double night box would be?
Here a thread with more detail. Its around $700 with all the heating, paint and primer, screws, sealant, etc...
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/what-youll-need-to-build-a-night-box.171435/

One way or another you'll need the heated box. You can build it and let them use it right now, but still bring them inside at night or on cooler days. This is actually a better way to go, as it will let them get used to the new digs before being moved outside permanently.