So angry.. (pet store)

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I just went to a new local pet shop here in tupelo called Gone Fishing... They had these three young sulcatas which they spell it as cicadas for $299...... They had no heat. Dehydrated. Diarrhea. And eyes wouldn't open.. Made me sick.. Told the owner he was killing them and they where sick.. He said he has been selling them for years and knows what he is doing.. He told me that the breeder is from AZ.. Makes me wish I had 900 I would go buy them now but I really wish I could stop him from ever getting another shipment in.

Its kinda sad when the torts at pet smart are cared for better than these

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
RE: So angry..

Find out who the breeder is if you can...if the torts are in physical apparent health and are sickly---I would let him know you are reporting his half A## shop of torture to the local newspaper....Or you could also try to offer to, free of charge, do a few changes to the enclosure to help the torts just to share some different options for him...he has likely kept and sold lots of torts by now and thinks he is aok....but sharing some different husbandry in a less offensive mode can sometimes help...

I know flicking him right in his big dumb nose is likely the first impulse...but sometimes restraint first can do more good...and if that does not work--back to the big dumb nose...

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: So angry..

If you find out who the breeder I'd you could let him know (assuming he ships then in good condition and cares about his torts) and maybe he will stop dealing with this person, or send better care instructions? This store owner may listen to care instructions coming from a 'higher power' than you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Copy off Toms care thread for sulcatas. Tom will not care. Hand it to the person and kindly explain that the old Hot and Dry method is not good, want then and isn't now. Explain, the new method that works and grows them the way they are suppose to be, smooth. Also explain the coil type bulbs are still bad. That's probably what he uses if anything. He can adjust to the humid method to at least having water dish, humid hide and a mist of their substrate a couple times a day would be better then what he is doing. Most stores won't do the full closed chambers:(. Good luck and keep us updated. If he won't change things, report him to whoever will listen. Give me his phone number, I give a few phone calls.

Leo1986

5 Year Member
So angry..

Weird... A breeder from the same state (I think) told me to do the hot and dry ... Silly me I believed it and now my Leo's are trying to kick the bucket. :/

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal

Walk in with a bucket and baby food in hand. Be nice and say you are concerned about these little ones. Ask kindly for warm water. Proceed with our preferred anti-dehydrated jerky tortoise method. Give the owner a printed version of Tom's threads. Tell owner that they need to be hydrated. Kidneys can fail if not hydrated and babies die. Kidney failure is final.

This is an opportunity to teach yet another person. Be a honey. Feel like vinegar. But Art of War tactic, be sublime and be nice! For the sake of those 3 little lives dependent on an unknowing human(s). We are all behind you. : )

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
So angry..

*fisting pumping* so am I all the way from AZ!

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!

When I went back the clerk said the owner is gone for the rest of the day

Going back during my lunch tomorrow

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal

mtdavis254817 said:
When I went back the clerk said the owner is gone for the rest of the day

Going back during my lunch tomorrow

You rock. Remember, we are accountable for what we do, and for what we don't do.

Perfect opportunity to share your love of tortoises and their well being with the owner and staff. Knowledge opens minds. So share what you know about what you love and I guarantee the owner will be receptive simply because you have gone out of your way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

The perfect op to show him how much he does need help. Be prepared with better caresheets, photos of the way they are suppose to look and how they will get like that only with proper care. Let him know, you would love to promote his pet shop as the pet shop raising tortoise the right way, not the wrong/bad way the others are doing.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member

I just read in a different thread that you used to live near me so do you still live in dfw? If so what is the pet shop called? And where is it?

SteveM

MS
I know this is an extremely old post but that's the same place I got my baby Sulcata from 8 days ago, it was the only one they had. He had no humidifier, completely open top, they had lettuce in with him and said he would love tomato, strawberries, bananas, lettuce, etc. They also said he needed it to be dry and hot. Most of the animals seemed energetic and lively, they did have an axolotl alone in an uncooled aquarium at room temp, ~80°F, it was warm in there.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20221106_202038_Maps.jpg
    SmartSelect_20221106_202038_Maps.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 2

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Doesn't look like they've learned much over the past few years.