Sneezing

abyrhianl

Location (City and/or State)
Nantwich, Cheshire, England
Hi,
This morning just before he was fed our tortoise sneezed, this is the first time I’ve seen him do this but as he’s out first tortoise I’m a little worried, his eyes seem clear and his nose isn’t running. His temperatures are staying a little higher than normal as there is a little heatwave occurring in the UK at the moment so his temperatures are 88-110F, he’s kept on top soil, and fed on a variety of things his current food mix consists of; dandelion, geranium, bromeliad, opuntia and a couple of other small safe plants. He did have a couple of bubbles that he blew out of his nose the other day but this was when he was in soak so I presumed he’d just got some water up there. Should I take him to the vet?
Thank you!

abyrhianl

Forgot to mention, our vet said he is around 1 year old, and current weights 115grams, this has changed steadily from 96grams when we got him in April. Thanks IMG_2665.jpg

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I guess at worst it could be the start of a RI but it doesn’t sound like it is yet. I think he general advice to is keep him warm night and day no lower than 85f with a 100f basking spot.

daniellenc

Maryland
Sounds like a respiratory infection which indicates his indoor temps may be off. Keep him warm, soaked daily, and check your temperatures.

abyrhianl

I’ve checked his temperatures and they are a little higher than normal but if I need to keep him warm that isn’t a problem, he is already soaked daily so I suppose I’ll just have to keep an eye on him [emoji22]

daniellenc

Maryland
Maybe a vet is in order. No pics of his indoor space but how is he eating? If he’s pooping daily and eating that’s a great sign.

Bee62

Germany
When a tort is sneezing it doesen`t mean that the tort is sick. My torts sneeze sometimes too but they are healthy. People sneeze sometimes too without being sick.
At this point there is no reason to worry to my opinion and no reason for a VET visit. Watch your tort closely. When he is eating well and there are no bubbles coming out of his nose he will be okay.
Sneezing only occasionally is no sign for sickness.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi,
This morning just before he was fed our tortoise sneezed, this is the first time I’ve seen him do this but as he’s out first tortoise I’m a little worried, his eyes seem clear and his nose isn’t running. His temperatures are staying a little higher than normal as there is a little heatwave occurring in the UK at the moment so his temperatures are 88-110F, he’s kept on top soil, and fed on a variety of things his current food mix consists of; dandelion, geranium, bromeliad, opuntia and a couple of other small safe plants. He did have a couple of bubbles that he blew out of his nose the other day but this was when he was in soak so I presumed he’d just got some water up there. Should I take him to the vet?
Thank you!

Perfectly healthy tortoise sneeze....period. That is a lovely tort and it would horrible to stress it out with a vet visit that is not needed.....

abyrhianl

Perfectly healthy tortoise sneeze....period. That is a lovely tort and it would horrible to stress it out with a vet visit that is not needed.....

Thank you, he’s saying loads as per usual for him, he’s slept a little bit during today but it’s hard for his to escape the heat at the moment with the ambient temperature being so much higher due to the weather. First time owner so I worry a lot but thank you I feel a little better about it now, will just keep a very close eye on him [emoji217]

abyrhianl

Thank you, he’s saying loads as per usual for him, he’s slept a little bit during today but it’s hard for his to escape the heat at the moment with the ambient temperature being so much higher due to the weather. First time owner so I worry a lot but thank you I feel a little better about it now, will just keep a very close eye on him [emoji217]

*eating[emoji23] not saying [emoji849]