Snapping Turtle Hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonka-Tamer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Its been raining all day long here in Michigan. My dog hates the rain because he thinks it automatically means thunder which makes him crazy. So this evening when I was putting him in the garage, I saw at least a dozen baby snappers gathered around the dust-to-dawn light, along with a toad and 3 bullfrogs.

I suppose this wet weather is bringing everyone together, but I CANNOT have a bunch of little snappers swimming in my driveway. Otherwise I wont let anyone drive in it. So I caught as many as I could find and put them in my spare aquarium on the outside porch with a bit of grass. I plan on releasing them as soon as possible, which will probably be tomorrow after noon.

I was just so excited to see the hatchlings, because one clutch was laid at least 4 months ago and I was wondering whether or not they were going to pull through. Luckily I live right on the edge of some muddy, swampy river runoff and plenty of woods-so these guys will have a prime home.

I couldn't hold my excitement in so I just had to share with you! Pictures to follow!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
it must be so neat to live where there are wild animals amongst your home! i can't wait to see the photos!

Tonka-Tamer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
josh said:
it must be so neat to live where there are wild animals amongst your home!

Its wonderful. I've loved seeing those huge turtles crawl up from the swamp and rip up the backyard. In fact, I believe the turtle in the first picture laid these hatchlings, since the other nest seems still intact. I cant be sure, because the pictured turtle layed her clutch while I was sleeping:
P6040731.jpg

P9041137.jpg

P9041144.jpg

P9051151.jpg

P9051155.jpg

P9051159.jpg

P9051161.jpg

Tonka-Tamer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
P9051162.jpg

P9051166.jpg

P9051178.jpg

P9051180.jpg

P9051182.jpg

P9051191.jpg

^perhaps my favorite photo

Good luck guys! I hope I see them ripping up the backyard someday!

Tonka-Tamer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
I should also tell you- that the Snapper that laid these eggs was run over by a car nearly two years ago. I saw it myself. As I got out of the truck to pull it off the road, some a-hole (pardon, but I was PISSED) ran it over in a tiny car. Luckily it survived, but the lower shell was noticably cracked and bleeding. I couldn't kill the turtle myself, so I just helped it back into the swamp hoping it would die in peace. Then when I took these photos, I noticed the cracked shell and nearly cried! I was so happy to see it alive and well (and pregnant!).
Seeing these hatchlings, to me, is a miracle, and I'm glad I got so many great shots!
My dad also loves turtles, and he tells me that there used to be many more around. He says there were even box turtles, I live in the kitty corner of southwest Michigan, and I have NEVER seen a box turtle in the wild. So just the fact that these little guys are off the pavement and in the swamps (I distributed them in many different places; a few around the swamps, some in the streams, and I dropped the peppier ones off in a small clearing near water) leaves the window open for many more to live to adulthood.
I like to think of our woods as a sanctuary. This summer I must have picked up 7 or 8 medium-large turtles off of busy roads that run right through dense woods, and my friends always bring me any turtles they find on the roads so I can put them in the woods. Tomorrow, providing its still not raining and I can find some bug spray (the mosquitos and horse flies are TERRIBLE. I made sure that I wasnt dropping the turtles in any stagnant water where their larva may be living), I'll take some pictures of the woods to show off my sanctuary = D

**All in all, there were 17 hatchling that I found

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Tonka-Tamer, Great pictures and a great story to go with them. Those little ones are lucky to have you around. Good of you to take the time to care so much for our shelled friends. Every little bit helps. :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have never gotten to see so many snappers at one time, how amazing. You took some wonderful shots also! Wonderful story too. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aren't they just the cutest little things? I wish they were legal to keep in Calif. How rewarding for you it must be to recognize the mama turtle you rescued from the highway!

Yvonne

R

rumpels1120

me and my boyfriend have a florida anapping turtle and your right, they are the cutest things. hes (?) about a year now and is pretty big. im a woman and hes bigger than my hand with my fingers outstretched. needless to say hes being fed well. :)

YuriTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Those babies are sooo adorable I can hardly stand it! You are a hero for saving their lives :)

Status
Not open for further replies.