Smooth move for CDT's?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
In a week or 2 I will be getting 2 desert torts from my friend who is moving out of state.

They have been living together for several months. I will have to leave them together until the 2nd outdoor enclosure is finished.

I'd like suggestions on how to make the move as unstressful as possible, and how to help them settle in.

It's very hot...do I just provide a hide, plop him in, and let him decide to dig a burrow?

Is any time of day best to move them? Only a 1 mile ride.

Please, any insight to help them be more comfortable and not want to dig out and find home.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would transport in individual boxs or rubber sin containers with ventilation and shredded paper on the bottom of the container, to prevent sliding.

I've learned that California desert tortoises should have " 3 layers" of shade. I. The wild their burrows are very deep, allowing them to regulate their temps.

https://www.azgfd.com/wildlife/nongamemanagement/tortoise/burrow/

The above site will tell you how to make an enclosure for a desert tortoise. I would follow this. I wouldn't leave the tortoise to figure it out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size and age DTs are we talking about? Sexes?

You need to prepare the enclosures, create the underground shelters and check your temperatures BEFORE the tortoises make their move. They will literally fry their own brains in your area without proper shelter. Use your remote digital thermometers early and often. Be prepared with sprinklers, shade cloth and misters.

You'll need to separate them ASAP. Living as a pair adds a huge amount of stress to an already stressful situation. Personally, I wouldn't move them until two separate enclosures are ready to go and checked for a day or two.

It don't think it is critical, but my preference would be to nave them after dark and let them wake up tot he new day in their new shelters.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've heard the story quite often: They lived together peacefully for years until we moved them to a different location. Now they fight all the time.

So, be prepared.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would transport in individual boxs or rubber sin containers with ventilation and shredded paper on the bottom of the container, to prevent sliding.

I've learned that California desert tortoises should have " 3 layers" of shade. I. The wild their burrows are very deep, allowing them to regulate their temps.

https://www.azgfd.com/wildlife/nongamemanagement/tortoise/burrow/

The above site will tell you how to make an enclosure for a desert tortoise. I would follow this. I wouldn't leave the tortoise to figure it out.
We're in the process of building the enclosure. It's the burrow I'm wondering about. Thanks for the link...that's one I haven't seen before!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
What size and age DTs are we talking about? Sexes?

You need to prepare the enclosures, create the underground shelters and check your temperatures BEFORE the tortoises make their move. They will literally fry their own brains in your area without proper shelter. Use your remote digital thermometers early and often. Be prepared with sprinklers, shade cloth and misters.

You'll need to separate them ASAP. Living as a pair adds a huge amount of stress to an already stressful situation. Personally, I wouldn't move them until two separate enclosures are ready to go and checked for a day or two.

It don't think it is critical, but my preference would be to nave them after dark and let them wake up tot he new day in their new shelters.
Koda is at least 30 years old, male.

I was told Kenai is about 1 1/2 years old, also male. But the info on him is not very reliable.

Here is the only pic I have of them yet.

Our plan was to finish the new enclosure and move the torts into it. The current owner is giving me the pen they have been living in, but it needs enlarging first, before I can put each in his own enclosure. The current owner is moving in 2 weeks, and they must be gone from there. I have no where else to put them but in the pen I am building. What else could I do with one til the 2nd pen is ready?

As for frying brains, you are correct! We are only able to build for a few hours each AM starting at 6:00, which is why we are taking longer to get this done. I am unable to dig, etc, so a friend is basically doing this alone, (with my supervision, of course! LOL)

You're saying we have to dig their burrows? They dug their own where they currently are, with a dog igloo above, and a shade cloth covering over it, plus under a tree. They stay in the burrows during the day.

I will provide a sprinkler for them, along with sunken soaking containers.

The new pen is 30 ft x 20 ft.
9604287de10616a06ec0ed454b71e5fd.jpg

daniellenc

Maryland
If you're building a pen and their owner is giving you one then you have 2 pens or did I misunderstand? As for burrow digging yes you have to sorry lol. There are many threads here showing you how though!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I've heard the story quite often: They lived together peacefully for years until we moved them to a different location. Now they fight all the time.

So, be prepared.
Yes, I have been reading that. I will separate them asap, but don't know where else to put one til the 2nd enclosure is ready. In this heat, it could take a while to get it done, and I have to rely on the cooperation of a friend and his work schedule. I am unable to dig and build.

The posts re' fighting are the reason I am here asking for suggestions. You folks are the experts!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you're building a pen and their owner is giving you one then you have 2 pens or did I misunderstand? As for burrow digging yes you have to sorry lol. There are many threads here showing you how though!
You understood...We are building a pen, and the owner is giving us one also...2 pens. I'll be checking those posts re' burrow digging. I wonder who digs their burrows for them out in the desert? [emoji53]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You're saying we have to dig their burrows? They dug their own where they currently are, with a dog igloo above, and a shade cloth covering over it, plus under a tree. They stay in the burrows during the day.

You don't have to dig them a burrow like what a wild one would use, but you have to make them a shelter, either above or below ground, that will stay cool in your extremely hot area of the world. An above ground dogloo with shade cloth under a shade tree will not be cool enough. Your thermometer will verify this.

If they do eventually choose to dig their own burrows, that will be great for summer time, but not safe in the winter. In the mean time, they must have a cooler area to retreat to during the day.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
You don't have to dig them a burrow like what a wild one would use, but you have to make them a shelter, either above or below ground, that will stay cool in your extremely hot area of the world. An above ground dogloo with shade cloth under a shade tree will not be cool enough. Your thermometer will verify this.

If they do eventually choose to dig their own burrows, that will be great for summer time, but not safe in the winter. In the mean time, they must have a cooler area to retreat to during the day.
Ok, thank you! We'll figure something out! I really do want to do right by them. I've only actually met them once...they came right up to me and let me rub their heads. [emoji3]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, thank you! We'll figure something out! I really do want to do right by them. I've only actually met them once...they came right up to me and let me rub their heads. [emoji3]

This species is know for their great personalities. I really like them.

Sadly, much of the care info you read about them on the internet is wrong and will result in their death. Most of the babies that hatch every year die because people just house and care for them incorrectly.