Smelly little guy

Bubbatort

I have a Russian tortoise named Bubba and I gotta say his habitat stinks! I currently have him in a Rubbermaid storGe bin with reptile bark and a hide. I try to spot clean but it's hard. What can I change to reduce the odors? I also realized that Bubba's stool is this green gushy stuff. I used to feed him a salad bag but now I am starting to feed him collard greens and carrots. What should I feed him so his stool comes out black and less watery? P.s feel free to give me suggestions on making my habitat better :)

M

Maggie Cummings

It's his diet that is making things stink. He should have solid stool mostly blacker then green. Here's a care sheet for you to help...

tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Yep, its deff his diet. Also you will not want to give carrots too often. Too much sugar. He needs some fiber to solid his poo up. You will also want to give him more room. These guys need space to roam to stay healthy. Have you had him checked for parasites? That could be an issue too. Especially if you got him from a petco type store.

Bubbatort

Yep, its deff his diet. Also you will not want to give carrots too often. Too much sugar. He needs some fiber to solid his poo up. You will also want to give him more room. These guys need space to roam to stay healthy. Have you had him checked for parasites? That could be an issue too. Especially if you got him from a petco type store.
So should I feed him collard greens limited carrots, maybe some kale and Timothy hay? I heard Timothy hay provides fiber.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoises won't eat hay. They eat broad-leaf weeds and plants.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Kim444

5 Year Member
Your enclosure is very small for a tort of that size. He needs MUCH more room. Do you soak your tort every now and then?

Bubbatort

Your enclosure is very small for a tort of that size. He needs MUCH more room. Do you soak your tort every now and then?
I'm getting a much BIGGER enclosure tugs is just for now. Yes I soak him 3 times a week