Slow transition to outdoors

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
Anyone notice their tort with less energy when moved back outside? The weather has been great and Woody is now staying outside. It's only high 70s but Woody seems to be staying under some sticks (that's his cool spot). Also, he hasn't been eating as much (this is only day 2, but he usually eats like a cow). I'm going to feed him at night tonight rather than the day to see if the cool temps brings out his appetite. Any similar experiences of slow adjustments?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
for a tortoise 70 is not great it's on the cool side. the cold temperature will not bring out his appetite It'll make it worse

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
Yea, I figured that's not too hot considering their breed. But it's been high 70s with bright sunny weather. His indoor enclosure is usually high 70s/low 80s with a basking lamp, so it shouldn't be much of a change for him. But he has been hiding in his cool spot today and yesterday.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
trust me to a tortoise a few degrees can mean the difference between active and looks like they're sleeping all day. as it gets warmer you'll see a difference

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
they hide if the sun is too bright.
mine used to hide before noon and come out gain only in late afternoon. i grew some shade and they are more active throughout the day now that they only get dappled sunlight during from mid-moring to mid-afternoon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Look at it this way - YOUR body temperature is 98.6F degrees. That's almost 100F. If a cold blooded tortoise is living where the temperature is only 70F, he's pretty darned cold. He needs to be able to get his inner core temperature up to at least 80F before he's going to be active.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok. Maybe I'll bring him inside tonight to help as the weather continues to warm. Thanks.

Where are you?

Do you mean that he was inside all winter, and then one day you put him outside 24/7? Where does he sleep at night? What is the temperature there?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I call it the 'ins and outs of springtime.' I put them out during the day, then bring them in at night. There's isn't an indoor habitat, I just bring them in to a cardboard box, then back outside in the a.m.

Same thing goes for Autumn - the ins and outs of Autumn.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Ambient temps inside do not correlate well with sunny cooler temps outside. If you have a heat gun and measure the temp of the ground outside when it is sunny it will be much warmer than the ambient air temp outside. The tortoise will get just as warm as the ground.

They all seem to get disturbed by trans-location, even an annual one that is part of a pattern in their lives. Tortoises for the most part build a map in their head (been tooled out by scientists who study this kind of thing). An on-board "GPS" has been found in people, mice, pigeons, marine turtles and a host of other animals. It's how they find things in life. The have some sort of recall, do this, go there and it's water. Do this and go to that place this time of year and you will find a bush with young leaves, one month later go back for blossom on the ground.

So they are smart enough for more than one map, but it takes some time to sort that out. I have found it is easier for me to manage this by having outside shelters and keeping them outside year round, such that on those days )few or many) when it is warm enough, they can go out.

I don't see where you are, but that might not be an option for you.

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
Sorry for the delay. I am currently in Louisville Ky; however will be moving back to the heat of Houston TX soon. Yes, he has been inside all winter and now was going to stay outside. I tried bringing him inside at night, and he was more active and ate more again.

I did notice that outside during the heat of the sun, he would still hide for cover. So, taking in all the information from this thread- it sounds like a couple problems: both too cold at night and too direct sunlight. He has a stick fort that he burrows in, which I was concerned that he was inactive and not adjusting, but it may have been escaping the direct sunlight.

So, I'm going to keep up the "in and out" over the next couple weeks until the night temps rise. I just thought he would be so much happier outside. I don't imagine he will have this problem in Texas. Also, yes, ideally I would like to keep him out all year, I just have to work on my construction skills to build him a big and warm enough hide.

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
Thank you for all your feedback. Sometimes it's easy to overestimate their resilience, since they having walking body armor :). But I'm quick to realize their sensitivities with any change.

The responses got me thinking about how some of the smarter birds have a lot of trouble adjusting to new environments. Do you all have any other suggestions about when I move in a couple months to help his "stress" or adjustment?

Thank you all again. Woodys care has tremendously improved with this helpful community :).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for all your feedback. Sometimes it's easy to overestimate their resilience, since they having walking body armor :). But I'm quick to realize their sensitivities with any change.

The responses got me thinking about how some of the smarter birds have a lot of trouble adjusting to new environments. Do you all have any other suggestions about when I move in a couple months to help his "stress" or adjustment?

Thank you all again. Woodys care has tremendously improved with this helpful community :).

I prefer to have both and indoor and outdoor enclosure. I keep the tortoise indoors at night and during inclement weather and outside during fair weather. They get used to both enclosure in a short amount of time and the system gives you and the tortoise the best of both worlds.

Once you get a box built, set up and fully function tested for a few nights while the tortoise still sleeps inside, then you can start leaving him outside, latched safely in his new box, all night long. In the mean time, he gets used to his outdoor enclosure while still enjoying the good conditions indoors over night.