Sleeping

Shann1422

Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Is it normal for tortoise to sleep in various different locations? I have 3 different hides for her and she favored one at first but she seems to want to sleep out in open tonight, not even burrowing down like she normally does. Should i be worried?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is it normal for tortoise to sleep in various different locations? I have 3 different hides for her and she favored one at first but she seems to want to sleep out in open tonight, not even burrowing down like she normally does. Should i be worried?
Is it a new or newly redecorated enclosure?
What are the temperatures?
How do you measure the temperature?

Shann1422

Boston, MA
Is it a new or newly redecorated enclosure?
What are the temperatures?
How do you measure the temperature?
I’ve had her for 2 weeks now, I’ve added some new plants a couple days ago but haven’t moved anything, although she likes to push things around and move things herself😂. Temp throughout is 70-71 right now. I have 3 different temp and humidity gauges in enclosure plus a temp gun

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I’ve had her for 2 weeks now, I’ve added some new plants a couple days ago but haven’t moved anything, although she likes to push things around and move things herself😂. Temp throughout is 70-71 right now. I have 3 different temp and humidity gauges in enclosure plus a temp gun
That temperature is much too low.
It's too low for digestion and the tort is likely seeking a warmer spot

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was under impression 70+ at night was okay, what should it be at? She is Hermann tortoise
That is fine for night time, as long as it warms up during the day.

Where did you get the plants? Are they still in pots?

Shann1422

Boston, MA
That is fine for night time, as long as it warms up during the day.

Where did you get the plants? Are they still in pots?
Plants are no longer in pots. Got them from a local garden shop. I rinsed and cleaned them before putting into enclosure

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome. They do sleep in different places and alot. They hate change so as it is new, it is settling in. Check temp, lights, substrate, diet and water and if OK then let it settle in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Plants are no longer in pots. Got them from a local garden shop. I rinsed and cleaned them before putting into enclosure
All decorative plants here in the US are grown with systemic pesticides. These toxins are taken up into the plants tissues and last for a year. You can't rinse it off.

Plants for tortoise enclosures need to be grown from seed or from cuttings to avoid these toxins.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
agreed - I would remove those plants right away. Sorry I know you were trying to do the right thing. But good news is keep them in a pot and eventually you'll be able to use them.

I'm currently planting my outside garden and constantly reminding myself when I planted things so I know when I can use them. I couldn't believe when a year finally went by and a bunch of my new hibiscus were now safe to use...

Shann1422

Boston, MA
agreed - I would remove those plants right away. Sorry I know you were trying to do the right thing. But good news is keep them in a pot and eventually you'll be able to use them.

I'm currently planting my outside garden and constantly reminding myself when I planted things so I know when I can use them. I couldn't believe when a year finally went by and a bunch of my new hibiscus were now safe to use...

Shann1422

Boston, MA
what are the risks? Only if they eat them? Is best bet to grow own? What should i feed in meantime?

zovick

10 Year Member!
what are the risks? Only if they eat them? Is best bet to grow own? What should i feed in meantime?
You can use bagged salad mixes from the grocery store: Spring Mix, Italian Blend, etc. Also plain old romaine lettuce, radicchio, green and yellow squash, grated carrots, tomatoes, etc. You can also get some Mazuri tortoise food. I recommend the original formula rather than the LS. My tortoises never ate the LS, but devoured the original type.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In this thread is the feeding info for Hermanni:

More info here: