Sleeping or sick?

doletorts

10 Year Member!
Hi i got a red footed tortoise today and we brought her home, finished a few things in her cage and then put her in. For the first hour or so she was fine and active and eating, but for the past 4 hours she has just sat under her log, i cant tell if she's asleep or if she's awake and not moving. I took her out twice and set her in the middle of the cage and she moved some but just went back under the log and sits. I don't know if she's sleepy or sick or just getting used to my house as opposed to the store. Please help

Sheldon the russian tortoise

5 Year Member
My tort did the same thing i am no expert but it helped for me when I took him outside and let him walk around my yard... Also in the cold weather torts are usualy less active

doletorts

10 Year Member!
I would love to take her outside but I'm in northern Illinois and temps are low now. Thanks for the tip though. Im just worried cuz when i brought her home she was fine but after a while she kinda stopped. Im hoping shes just tired

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
doletorts said:
Hi i got a red footed tortoise today and we brought her home, finished a few things in her cage and then put her in. For the first hour or so she was fine and active and eating, but for the past 4 hours she has just sat under her log, i cant tell if she's asleep or if she's awake and not moving. I took her out twice and set her in the middle of the cage and she moved some but just went back under the log and sits. I don't know if she's sleepy or sick or just getting used to my house as opposed to the store. Please help

First of all you just brought her home... Give her time to adjust, it is stressful coming into a new place. I am sure she explored and wore her self out! Make sure you soak her tomorrow. What is your set up like? What are your temps, humidity level and what kind of lights do you have? If you have a coil type UVB bulb, that could be a problem. They are known to cause blindness.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would get a general temp reading in a variety of areas in the enclosure....you may find that your hot spot is too hot? If you find your temps are all good---then I would keep an eye on the tort to assure it has alert eyes and that it is pumping its throat (breathing) and if so then likely the tort is simply trying to adjust....do you have a night heat source as well? How old/what size is the tort?

Also, if she was out and ate, walked about a bit---then resting/hiding would also be normal...I would suggest placing some plant canopies in the enclosure as well....perhaps around the log for added hiding/safe feeling (you can use simple silk plants vs real plants)....

5 Year Member
Make sure you have a correct diet lighting temp humidity etc there is stuff all around you can look at and what is the enclosure your keeping it in and where did you get it.

doletorts

10 Year Member!
Maybe she was just tired. She seems more active now. I am worried that she isnt really drinking though. Thank you guys for making me less worried though.

5 Year Member
Tortoises dont usualy don't drink you need to soak them i soak mine every other day for 20 minutes put it in a Tupperware wit lukewarm water up to the bottom of its shell

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Sleeping or sick?

Sheldon the russian tortoise said:
Tortoises usually don't drink

All of my tortoises of different ages and different species drink, often.

OP, give your new tort daily warm water soaks.
I'm sure in time you'll see it drink.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
doletorts said:
Maybe she was just tired. She seems more active now. I am worried that she isnt really drinking though. Thank you guys for making me less worried though.

When I got my reds, I was also worried about them not drinking. I scoured this forum and all I got in my numerous searches were "my torts won't eat but boy do they gulp down water like no one's business." Sufficed to say, it didn't make things any better on my nerves. I've had them for 8 months now and I still don't see them drink all that much. I'm sure they drink when I'm not looking, though, cuz the water is half gone by the time I wash their waterdishes. Just keep the soaks up and let the little guy get comfy in his new home :D