Sleep & Behavior For Greek's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astroidblues

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brew City Wisconsin
Heya again guy's & Gal's.
I have a question about the sleep pattern's of greek tort's.
My guys currently sleep for 18-24 hours at a time when they wake it seem's like they have way to much energy to burn. They will actually blaze trench's trail's in there tank and one day i actually thought they had a party in the night. They compleately tore apart there tank. So i went out and bought a large nylon pet pen so they can excersise.

What is the commin amount of sleep a greek gets or wants ?

So couild there amount of sleep be due to the amount of heat in there tank ?
this is how my tank is set up.

| <---------x2 48 inch uva uvb--cycle on 16hr off 8hr------------->|
| <----------- fan for air circulation--cycle on 30 off 60------------>|

| ceramic heater cycle on 30 off 60 | infrared basking cycle on 30 off 60|
| hide | wide space | Water & food |
| under tank heater |

| temp high 92 low 80 | temp high 110 low 80 | temp high 85 low 75 |

(note fan only turns on with ceramic & basking lamps)
Humidty level between 30%-40%
under tank heater is always on
consistant air temp of 76-80

Im just curious about sleep and heat ? any ideas let me know !
here is a current picture of my tank set up.
Thanks for the advise all =) sorry about the blurry pic's
101_1155.jpg

101_1156.jpg

101_1157.jpg

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
You're lights should only be on 12 hours. Mine go on at 8am then go off at 8pm.
Also, your enclosure should not be hot all the time. At night your temps can drop to 65 throughout the entire enclosure.

Astroidblues

5 Year Member
Brew City Wisconsin
HipsterTorts said:
You're lights should only be on 12 hours. Mine go on at 8am then go off at 8pm.
Also, your enclosure should not be hot all the time. At night your temps can drop to 65 throughout the entire enclosure.

Well currently i have the light's in sync with the current day light from 6am to 7pm.
I think i will keep the temp's hot untill my tort's are over the URI
That will probley take a week or two. Then i will drop the temps in the tank to 90 hot side and 70 cool side for day cycle.
On the night cycle im going to try to only keep the heating pad on and hopefully it wont get to cold. I will have to keep a close eye on the temps because i do live in wisconsin and winter is comeing and the tank's are in the basement so its naturaly always 10-15 degrees cooler and when winter comes it can almost get to 40-50 down there.
Sometimes even colder depending on the weather. Wisconsin on a avarage winter outside temps can reach anywere from +20-30 or
-20-30 below.

Depending on how cold it get's down there in the winter i may have to move the tank upstair's. This will suck if i have to do this. I wouild have to get help from friend's because i got a messed up back.

But anyhow thanks for the info =) I got some great new pic's today.
They went nut's today and really eat alot. Almost five whole romaine leaves. I was able to take a bunch of picture's of it. I will upload and post them later tonight. C-ya then ;)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Lights can be on anywhere from 14-16 hours a day for normal activity. Ambient daytime temperatures in the low 70's to mid 80's with a 10-15 degree drop at night will ensure that they become active shortly after the lights go on in the morning. 95-105 directly under the basking light which should be at the opposite end of their hide areas. Greeks, like most tortoises sleep when it's dark, period. When the sun is up (or lights on) they will usually be active in the early to late morning and then depending upon temperature and light intensity will often retreat into hiding to wait out the mid day heat. Once early evening comes they will usually come out again for a short activity period. If the temperature in the room that your tortoises are being kept in doesn't get much lower than 65 dgrees at night there should be no need for supplemental night time heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.