Skin peeling

jjjes1386

My Russians skin seems to be peeling around his neck and hind legs. (Look under his chin) looks almost like skin peeling after a sunburn for humans. I soak him twice weekly and have live plants which I water in his house to increase humidity. Is this abnormal?

Attachments

• 1436982045398.jpg
    1436982045398.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 57

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
My Russian gets that too, from what I can see looks normal to me. He seems to get it more sometimes than others, so if I notice he's peeling I tend to bath him a little more often just to encourage it to come off naturally in its own time. I think it's just where there's new skin regrowth.

Nice looking Russian btw

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Alla nimals shed skin, even you. Snakes do it all in one go. Torts do it a bit at a time and can look downright scruffy on occasion. It is completely normsl and thie skin will rub off as your tort pushes through the plants and digs into the substrate. Don't be tempted to pick or pull at the skin as you might make him sore

McTopHats

Omaha, NE
That's completely normal! Just make sure to give your tort more soaks. I usually give mine 3 or 4 soaks a week if he is peeling.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Quite normal from what I can see in the photos (which isn't much).
I wouldn't worry.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tortoises shed in pieces, unlike anakes