molting? shedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhigh81

5 Year Member
I have noticed the last week that the skin on my russian tortoise head is peeling. Do they go through a molting? His behavior hasn't changed and he is still eating and soaking. I soak him twice a week, and he has a water dish at all times in his enclosure. He is kept outdoors, and eats a variety of greens. Does this look like something to be concerned about or is it normal?

Attachments

• tortoise 1.jpg
    tortoise 1.jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 53
  • tortoise 2.jpg
    tortoise 2.jpg
    878.4 KB · Views: 50

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
All reptiles shed their skin (so do you actually). Snakes do it tidily all in one go. Torts do it in bits and pieces. They vary from looking a bit frayed to downright tatty.

There's nothing you can do to make it look smarter. The dead skin will rub off naturally. Don't be tempted to pick or pull as it may make your tort sore :)

jhigh81

5 Year Member
Thanks! That is what I figured, jusat wanted to be safe. I wont pull it I promise (although it does look tempting lol).

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Soaking doesn't seem to make any difference. When tort is ready to shed, the skin becomes loose.

Joe seems to rub his flaky skin off best by pushing through undergrowth or digging

Status
Not open for further replies.