1. Hello guest! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and have a great time chatting with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

molting? shedding?

Discussion in 'Russian tortoises' started by jhigh81, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhigh81

jhigh81 New Member

I have noticed the last week that the skin on my russian tortoise head is peeling. Do they go through a molting? His behavior hasn't changed and he is still eating and soaking. I soak him twice a week, and he has a water dish at all times in his enclosure. He is kept outdoors, and eats a variety of greens. Does this look like something to be concerned about or is it normal?

Attached Files:

2. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member

All reptiles shed their skin (so do you actually). Snakes do it tidily all in one go. Torts do it in bits and pieces. They vary from looking a bit frayed to downright tatty.

There's nothing you can do to make it look smarter. The dead skin will rub off naturally. Don't be tempted to pick or pull as it may make your tort sore :)
  3. jhigh81

jhigh81 New Member

Thanks! That is what I figured, jusat wanted to be safe. I wont pull it I promise (although it does look tempting lol).
  4. KimandKarasi

KimandKarasi New Member

Mine is doing the same thing! Does soaking more help the process?
  5. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member

Soaking doesn't seem to make any difference. When tort is ready to shed, the skin becomes loose.

Joe seems to rub his flaky skin off best by pushing through undergrowth or digging
  6. GeoTerraTestudo

GeoTerraTestudo Active Member

Probably just going through a growth spurt, so his skin is shedding more to make room for a bigger body underneath. :)