Size that works well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada
My russian is in a 36x20.5 enclosure right now. What size is considered a decent size keeping in mind that although bigger is better, I don't have room for a huge enclosure

Also she digs most of the time, I am considering a tort table, a large rubbermaid type container or an aquarium

AllCoExPat

5 Year Member
George is in a 50 gallon Rubbermaid type container. I don't have the exact "footprint" dimensions, but he seems happy and active in there. I did cut out part of one of the sides and replace it with plexiglass so it didn't just look like a big blue tub sitting in the living room. I've seen alot of posts that recommend at least 3'x2' enclosures for Russians, but I think the standard answer is "bigger is better" around here. ;-) Once the weather improves, I'm looking at building a table to more or less double the size George has in is 50 gallon tub.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually 3x6 would be a nice size. Yes, of course bigger. Don't forget, you can make things bigger buy doing second levels. Check out the enclosure thread for ideas. A 3x2 is quite small if its for an adult Russian.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
wellington said:
Actually 3x6 would be a nice size. Yes, of course bigger. Don't forget, you can make things bigger buy doing second levels. Check out the enclosure thread for ideas. A 3x2 is quite small if its for an adult Russian.

Out of curiosity, how many Russians do you have, Barb? What size enclosures do you keep them in?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Barb is right. In general, 3'x 2' is small for an adult Russian. Some will be happy in there, which is great; others will scrabble at the sides constantly.
6'x2' or even 8'x3' are good goals ultimately; either in one foot print, or divided as a split level with a ramp. They do like climbing. And some will scratch at the sides even with that size, but at least there is good walking room.

Remember, outside is the best, even for part of the year.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
lynnedit said:
Barb is right. In general, 3'x 2' is small for an adult Russian. Some will be happy in there, which is great; others will scrabble at the sides constantly.
6'x2' or even 8'x3' are good goals ultimately; either in one foot print, or divided as a split level with a ramp. They do like climbing. And some will scratch at the sides even with that size, but at least there is good walking room.

Remember, outside is the best, even for part of the year.

I can't have them outside in the summer unless I am with them. I'm in the city and there's to many idiots around that think it's funny to climb over fences and steal animals or just let them go. A night lock is not the answer , I know people that had their rabbits outside and had the hutch broken apart and the rabbits gone. I am outside a lot in decent weather so could have them out for part of the day. There are problems right now with people taking dogs from backyards.

wellington said:

The only place I could build something that size would be in the basement, but I would rather she is upstairs. She is on the main floor so we see her all the time. I was thinking of the living room but would dogs barking when people come over bother her? I don't want to stress her

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That's too bad about keeping pets outside in your area, but it sounds better to be safe. Perhaps a simple enclosure so she can be outside for an hour or so when you are with her.

Tortoises are not very sensitive to sound. Probably more vibration, certainly their sight seems to be good.
So put the enclosure on your main floor and just make it as large as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.