Size disparity

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleyka

5 Year Member
We have two young sibling sulcutta's that were born in July, both eat wonderfully, eat, poop and soak and have a good diet. One is growing fast, I think the other is still the same size. Is this normal?

image-1917491989.png

*hatched in July

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It happens quite often when you have a pair. Try an experiment. Put something across the center of your habitat that the tortoises can't see past. Its ok for it to be open so they can pass from one end to the other, but tall enough to block vision from one end to the other. Start feeding them separately, one on each end of the habitat. If you notice that the bigger one has moved over to where the smaller one is eating, move him back to his own place.

It may not be actual "bullying" but it just may be that the more aggressive eater is eating all the food.

bradleyka

5 Year Member
I think the smaller one eats more than the larger one. They both eat throughout the day. There is always fresh greens available for them.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
If you have a big family with several daughters and several sons, it is not a major surprise if some grow differently than others. My younger brother is over six feet tall. I am 5'8"/5'9". He did not steal my food.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have seen young torts head off other young torts every time them make a move for the food. Just bullying. If you actually see the little guy eating than nothing to worry about, some do grow slow. Let us know what you try and how it works.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Agree with above..could be a number of things. Or could be just normal growth.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
emysemys said:
It happens quite often when you have a pair. Try an experiment. Put something across the center of your habitat that the tortoises can't see past. Its ok for it to be open so they can pass from one end to the other, but tall enough to block vision from one end to the other. Start feeding them separately, one on each end of the habitat. If you notice that the bigger one has moved over to where the smaller one is eating, move him back to his own place.

It may not be actual "bullying" but it just may be that the more aggressive eater is eating all the food.

i like the suggestion for sight barriers for multiple torts. regardless of food or size/growth issues.

Baoh said:
If you have a big family with several daughters and several sons, it is not a major surprise if some grow differently than others. My younger brother is over six feet tall. I am 5'8"/5'9". He did not steal my food.

this literally caused me to laugh out loud

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is pretty normal in a pair situation for one to thrive and the other stall or grow very slowly. It could also be residual effects from how they were started in their first few weeks of life before you got them. Do you know how they were started?

Either way. I would build a new enclosure for the bigger one, leave the smaller one where he is, and see what happens with their growth.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
When my leopards were little, I tried to separate the smallest. It immediately stopped eating, and spent all of it's time trying to escape it's confinement.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yagyujubei said:
When my leopards were little, I tried to separate the smallest. It immediately stopped eating, and spent all of it's time trying to escape it's confinement.

Three points:
1. Sulcatas are different than leopards as far as personality and groups.
2. Pairs are different than groups.
3. Tortoises don't like change and take some time to adapt. Any tortoise that finds itself alone after being in a group for months or years, will eventually settle down and thrive, unless something else prevents it from thriving.

bradleyka

5 Year Member
I bought from a guy who had 95 hatchlings from 4 large females. We got in September at about 8 weeks.

Katherine

5 Year Member
I have clutch mates who show HUGE size disparities and no one is bullied or food deprived, this could just be normal genetic variation.
As mentioned it is a good idea to rule out bullying, and I am not intending to downplay the issues of 'pairs.' Sometimes something as simple as feeding them separate meals at opposite sides of enclosure can help if you suspect food is being disproportionately consumed.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
yagyujubei said:

Some of my sulcatas have behaved this way, too. I tend to keep them together unless I see that a particular individual cannot compete.

Katherine said:
I have clutch mates who show HUGE size disparities and no one is bullied or food deprived, this could just be normal genetic variation.
As mentioned it is a good idea to rule out bullying, and I am not intending to downplay the issues of 'pairs.' Sometimes something as simple as feeding them separate meals at opposite sides of enclosure can help if you suspect food is being disproportionately consumed.

Likewise.

Status
Not open for further replies.