sick redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I am still nursing my red foot that came down with a respiratory problem back in early December. I have gave her shots of baytril. She seems more alert and the only thing that she will eat is Mazuri tortoise diet one or two soaked pellets every other day. Have continued her soaks and when ever I get her out of her hospital setup her eyes are closed shut and after soaking her in warm water and her sticking her head in the water her eyes will open.
Well now another red foot that was in the original enclosure with her is not eating and not acting normal. I have gone over the way that I am keeping them, on cypress mulch warm area of enclosure 84 humidity goes between 70 to 80 percent.
I have kept them the same way for the last 5 years and have not changed the way I have kept and feed them. My latest one has no discharge from nose or mouth but will frequently pull her head in and rub her front legs against her ears and eyes. I don't know if I should take her to a vet or wait to see if she gets better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Steve:

The eyes stick shut because the turtle or tortoise isn't being kept moist enough. I'm sure there are other reasons too, but this is the most common reason.

I don't depend upon meters or devices to tell me what the humidity is, I just look at it. If I think the substrate is getting too dry, I pour a whole pitcher of water all over the floor of the habitat then mix it up with my hand. If that wasn't enough, I'll pour some more. If the air in the habitat doesn't seem to be moist enough, I'll cover or partially cover it.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
emysemys said:
Hi Steve:

The eyes stick shut because the turtle or tortoise isn't being kept moist enough. I'm sure there are other reasons too, but this is the most common reason.

I don't depend upon meters or devices to tell me what the humidity is, I just look at it. If I think the substrate is getting too dry, I pour a whole pitcher of water all over the floor of the habitat then mix it up with my hand. If that wasn't enough, I'll pour some more. If the air in the habitat doesn't seem to be moist enough, I'll cover or partially cover it.
I have there enclosures covered but know with our forced air furnace running during the winter in IL it dries out the air. I use a pump up sprayer that you would use to sprays fruit trees. I spray twice and sometimes three times a day there cypress mulch until the top of mulch is wet. I have not stirred the mulch up and have not just poured water on the cypress. But I am going to go do it now thanks and I let you know if that helps with the eyes being closed. The other two red foots in the enclosure don't have the closed eye problem so hope it isn't something more than the humidity especially with the one not eating, my redfoots most always coming running for the food when I feed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.