Should Hermanns live outside

georgeandbessy

Hi I was building an outdoor enclosure for my male Hermann and wondering how long he should be out there for. Also should he be outside at night if I put a Shed or kennel out there too. I live in England so the weather can be dramatic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Being outside in a large enclosure is beneficial when the weather is nice. Having a box to latch them into at night is a good safety measure too. You'll have to decide if a little heat at night would be good in your area.

I like to have both an indoor and outdoor enclosure. Then they have a perfectly good climate controlled habitat to live in for most of the year and at night, and if the weather is nice, they can spend the days outside. Best of both worlds.

georgeandbessy

Being outside in a large enclosure is beneficial when the weather is nice. Having a box to latch them into at night is a good safety measure too. You'll have to decide if a little heat at night would be good in your area.

I like to have both an indoor and outdoor enclosure. Then they have a perfectly good climate controlled habitat to live in for most of the year and at night, and if the weather is nice, they can spend the days outside. Best of both worlds.
Cheers you know everything about tortoise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cheers you know everything about tortoise

Oh good lord no. I have a lot to learn. I know more than some, not as much as others. I'm just aloud mouth about sharing what I have learned the hard way.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I believe that outdoors is the right place for torts. After all, that is where they originally come from before they become pets. They are used to roam around without borders/red lights outside. However in cold countries like England I would not advise it.

Please post pictures of your tort, and a warm welcome to the forum!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Depending on where in England you live I think you should be able to keep him outside year-round with a cold frame or something similar with a heat lamp to warm up on chilly days.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I live in England and have a hermanns too. I made him an outdoor enclosure but only put him in it when the weather is nice :)