Shellrot?

hdeaver1

Let me premise, with I am a tortoise "newbie." That being said when I first started reading about the care of my new leopard tortoise I read somewhere, in the great span of the web-verse, that shell-rot can be an issue. Now, I have also learned that humidity is very important contrary to many pet stores beliefs. I spray Tortellini's tank three times a day to ensure it stays humid. Can the extra moisture in there cause shell-rot? I have not seen any of these symptoms in my tortoise, but I am merely trying to prevent it if it is, or could be an issue. So my question is: Is shell-rot an issue for Leopard tortoises and if so what do I need to do to watch out for it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A properly raised leopard will be in very humid conditions and I have not seen shell rot yet. The Red foots are more prone to shell rot and a few others. Not really a problem with the leopard and high humidity. For reference on the proper care and housing for your leopard, please read Toms threads below in my post for temps and humidity levels needed.

hdeaver1

I have read the posts, but they never mentioned shell-rot and I just wanted to double check. Thanks so much for verifying the info. :)