Shell rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dokomadake

5 Year Member
So my Red foot has something i think could be shell rot? The substrate is top soil/ cococoir with sphagum moss and i mist twice a day. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1380546572453.jpg
    1380546572453.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 53

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure is it is shell rot or a fungus. However, if you can keep the top layer of substrate dry, while wetting the lower layers, it will help to prevent both shell rot and fungus. You can do this by pouring warm water into the corners of the enclosure. Letting the water soak in from the bottom up. If it's not too much, it will soak the lower layers and not the top layer. Red Foots are more prone to shell rot and fungus and while they need a high humidity, they don't tolerate being on wet substrate all the time.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
What are you referring to? I only see one spot smaller than the size of a pencil eraser....is that what you are talking about? Did you gently was the tort with a once over with a soft toothbrush to make sure it is not just something stuck in the growth area?

dokomadake

5 Year Member
Alright, will do about the hot water! I was reffering to the middle of the plastron since it looked different than other red foot plastrons i have seen. There are no white spots i was just wondering if it could be shell rot since it looks different than other plastrons. Guess he is fine then hahaha.

dokomadake

5 Year Member
Yeah i know haha thats what i meant. Oh ok so i was worrying for nothing... thanks! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.