Shell rot?

Janel Iglesias

20170219_135544.jpg 20170219_135508.jpg Hi, newbie here. It appears that our baby Marginated has something happening to his plastron, upper area. Though I've done a lot of research, unsure if it's shell rot.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Odd place for shell rot. I would try some antifungal cream on it like you would use for athletes foot. Keep it clean and dry except the cream. Keep top layer of substrate dry. When you give a soak, dry that area. Keep an eye on it an see if it gets bigger, worse or better with the antifungal cream. The heel slow so don't expect to be gone in a week or so.
@Yvonne G may have an idea

Janel Iglesias

Hmm...I currently have him on paper towel after scrubbing that area with Betadine. Will get some antifungal cream and try that as well. Thanks for your input!

Janel Iglesias

That doesn't look too much like shell rot. But the athletes foot cream wont do any harm.
It looks like a healing bite wound.
You don't have two tortoises do you?
I did have two in same enclosure, up until this weekend. Separated after suspecting shell rot. So much to learn! Thank you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
In that case I'd just keep it clean and maybe wipe a small little dab of antibiotic ointment on it.
Just a small smear because it's close to the mouth, etc.

Janel Iglesias

In that case I'd just keep it clean and maybe wipe a small little dab of antibiotic ointment on it.
Just a small smear because it's close to the mouth, etc.
So, you recommend antibiotic ointment over antifungal? Yea, treating that area has been a little challenging, especially because he won't stay inside his shell as I'm working on him. He also has a mysterious crack on his carapace. Wonder if the little one has been terrorizing him all along. They are only 7 months old. The little one is 57 grams and this guy is 78 (same species). Hard to believe that they would be so aggressive so young. Sad, I was hoping they would hang together forever! Thanks again for your input.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So, you recommend antibiotic ointment over antifungal? Yea, treating that area has been a little challenging, especially because he won't stay inside his shell as I'm working on him. He also has a mysterious crack on his carapace. Wonder if the little one has been terrorizing him all along. They are only 7 months old. The little one is 57 grams and this guy is 78 (same species). Hard to believe that they would be so aggressive so young. Sad, I was hoping they would hang together forever! Thanks again for your input.
I'm pretty convinced that it is an injury and not a fungal thing. Either way i think it is minor.
How bad is the crack? How did that happen? Did it get dropped?
Is it a Russian/Horsefield? They are very aggressive.

Janel Iglesias

I'm pretty convinced that it is an injury and not a fungal thing. Either way i think it is minor.
How bad is the crack? How did that happen? Did it get dropped?
Is it a Russian/Horsefield? They are very aggressive.
They are marginated. I'm not aware of him being dropped, although he appears to have injuries that would indicate otherwise. I don't have small children and I've asked the older kids, all of which have denied dropping him. No one but me is allowed to hold them so I don't know. Here's a pic of his other injury, upper left side.20170213_182717.jpg 20170213_182717.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try to gently pick off the dark part, then dab on a bit of Neosporin or some sort of antibiotic cream. That's not shell rot, but rather some sort of injury. It's minor, just like a skinned human knee.

Janel Iglesias

Try to gently pick off the dark part, then dab on a bit of Neosporin or some sort of antibiotic cream. That's not shell rot, but rather some sort of injury. It's minor, just like a skinned human knee.
Thank you! Yes, trying the antibiotic starting tonight. I've tried removing the dark part, but only small portion came off easily. Thanks again!