Shell Growth

_cara_law_

Location (City and/or State)
Great Britain
Hi, I have just looked at my russian tortoises shell and noticed some weird stuff about it. He is slightly pyramiding which I am aware of but his husbandry is correct and it should not worsen. Here is what I am concerned about though,

IMG_1546697897.215913.jpg

IMG_6975.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Russians don't grow perfectly smooth. Yours is no exception. I wouldn't say it was of particular concern.

Is he kept in an open table or closed chamber? What are the 4 important temperatures: warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum? What's the humidity?

_cara_law_

Great Britain
Russians don't grow perfectly smooth. Yours is no exception. I wouldn't say it was of particular concern.

Is he kept in an open table or closed chamber? What are the 4 important temperatures: warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum? What's the humidity?

He is in an open table. His basking temp differs between 96°F and 100°F, warm side is normally around 75°F, cool side is currently 63°F and the night time temp also differs between 63°F and 68°F. I am not entirely sure of the humidity but I do dampen his soil when need be :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How far away from the top of his shell is the bottom of the light/heat bulb? If it's too close, it burns the new growth, and that's sort of what your tortoise's shell looks like. It also looks like there's an abnormal growth 'bubble' in the new growth. I have no idea what would cause that. If you want to try to lubricate the new growth, you can paint the seams with cold pressed coconut oil dipped in a Q-tip. Allow it to absorb for 15 or 20 minutes then polish it off with an absorbent cloth.

Do you use a UVB light?

_cara_law_

Great Britain
How far away from the top of his shell is the bottom of the light/heat bulb? If it's too close, it burns the new growth, and that's sort of what your tortoise's shell looks like. It also looks like there's an abnormal growth 'bubble' in the new growth. I have no idea what would cause that. If you want to try to lubricate the new growth, you can paint the seams with cold pressed coconut oil dipped in a Q-tip. Allow it to absorb for 15 or 20 minutes then polish it off with an absorbent cloth.

Do you use a UVB light?

I use an MVB from arcadia, and I have used it for years with no problem. The light is around 23-25cm away from where he basks, it differs because he likes to dig in that place. I may try using the coconut oil as I have no clue whats going on with his shell.

Tortlelover65

Colorado
Hi, I have just looked at my russian tortoises shell and noticed some weird stuff about it. He is slightly pyramiding which I am aware of but his husbandry is correct and it should not worsen. Here is what I am concerned about though,

View attachment 261427

View attachment 261428
That's usually can be a sign that the tortoise doesn't have enough calcium in his diet. Or the tortoise has a high protein/low fiber diet. What do you feed her?
It can also be caused by low humidity.

_cara_law_

Great Britain
That's usually can be a sign that the tortoise doesn't have enough calcium in his diet. Or the tortoise has a high protein/low fiber diet. What do you feed her?

I currently feed him a mix of radicchio, frisee, lambs lettuce and pellets a couple times a week. Since its winter there is no weeds which I would obviously prefer to feed him. I do not have a hygrometer in his enclosure but I do make sure his substrate is damp enough. I put calcium on his food 2-3 times a week and its the same with his vitamins :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

If you’re talking about pyramiding, it has been proven that out of this, humidity is the only thing that has an effect.