Shell Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
Ok, so I've had turbo for a couple weeks and hes a red footed tort. Ive read up a lot on here as well as other sites as to how to keep a torts shell smooth and prevent pyramiding. I also know that they will be a tad bumpy due to the growth rings on the carapace. I have him placed in a "under the bed" containers temporarily till after I move. The substrate is cyprus mulch and i supplement him everyday to every other day the reptacal calcium and once a week the multivitamin. Since hes only ~5 inches I dont use a whole tablespoon of the supplements each meal time. I only use wat can cover the surface of what he would be eating that day. Id appreciate it if yall could take a look at his shell for me and see if you notice any abnormalities or if Im just being a paranoid mommy, to me his scutes look a little more raised than they should be. Btw, I had just misted him down before I took the pictures.
Thanks everyone prior for all the help :) and Turbo thanks you too :tort:

Attachments

• 104_1518.JPG
    104_1518.JPG
    981 KB · Views: 28
  • 104_1519.JPG
    104_1519.JPG
    903.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 104_1521.JPG
    104_1521.JPG
    951 KB · Views: 17

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In know, huh? How rude!!! :D

The shell looks ok to me, Sy. What are your concerns? Shell rot usually shows up on the plastron, and I don't see any pyramiding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
His shell looks very good to me. At his size, it would be pretty difficult to mess it up. It's the first few months that are the most critical in preventing or establishing pyramiding. At his age and size the pattern is pretty well established and your current humidity routine seems to be working.

What concerns me is the amount and frequency of supplementation. They CAN be over supplemented. He should only need a little pinch of calcium a couple of times a week, sprinkled over the food. I have five adult sulcatas that eat off of big fast food tray piled high and I don't even use a whole table spoon for all of that.

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
Okie dokie thanks guys!!! I just wanted to make sure that overall he looked ok. He doesnt have any shell rot I was moreso worried about pyramiding. Ill reduce the supplement intake though. Thank you for all the help!!! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.