shell coloration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
ok so i have posted a good bit since i just joined last month and it seems that almost every other day i find something new. im always learning, which is a good thing, even tho i did so much research. but yesterday i found growth on turbo and the growth on the scutes was a lighter shade than his normal color. i thought it was dirt and gave him a bath but then found it wasnt dirt but his shell. its the gray coloring. ive heard about marbling in redfoots but im not sure if this is what it is or something else. any information would be lovely. thanks.

100_1544.jpg

100_1545.jpg

100_1547.jpg

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
that is signs of Growth Cycle. 1st it will lighten, then he will grow, then it will darken again... it's kinda like the cuticles for your fingernails. This is a good time to apply Vita-Shell over all the grey areas!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
The white clear lines are the new growth that's grown, think of it almost of a human fingernail.
Some torts in this case have lines that are white, and some have dark brown or even black growth lines.
It just varies, my tort has black growth lines that come in and they fade to a brown.

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
what is vita-shell? like what does it do?

oh i see it helps with keeping the shell healthy and pretty like we use lotion for our skin

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
LeaderLeprechaun said:

oh i see it helps with keeping the shell healthy and pretty like we use lotion for our skin

It also conditions the cuticle so the shell grows smooth. I credit Vita-Shell for WalkingRocks shell because Cathie knew nothing about Heat and Humidity when she got him at 30 hrs out of the egg. he was kept originally in a dry container. Vita-Shell is great stuff!

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
Zamric said:
LeaderLeprechaun said:

It also conditions the cuticle so the shell grows smooth. I credit Vita-Shell for WalkingRocks shell because Cathie knew nothing about Heat and Humidity when she got him at 30 hrs out of the egg. he was kept originally in a dry container. Vita-Shell is great stuff!

thanks for the info. i used it on the shell last night and its was completely soaked up. i didnt hardly rub it in

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
It should be noted that if he is ouside alot, Vita-Shell has been known to draw ants. I have never had this issue. But as a preventative measure, when I see ant ANYWHERE around my outdoor enclosure, I use Ant-Traps. I also make sure his has completely soaked it in before they go outside.

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
im always with him if hes outside. i dont have his outdoor enclosure completed yet. but ill keep a note on that

Status
Not open for further replies.