Shedding Shell?

H]-[H

Hello everyone, I have a young star tortoise that was bought last December and today I noticed something sticking out of its carapace (in between two scutes)..
It looks like a tiny part of its shell came off and I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before..
Not sure if I should be concerned as the thing sticking out is rather small..
Let me know what you guys think.. Thanks..

P.S: I've circled the spot (in yellow) on each picture so you guys know where it is..

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Tortoises' shells don't shed like water turtle shells do. I would have to guess that that is some sort of little minor poke type injury. Just rub some antibiotic ointment on it and watch to keep flies off it. Treat it just like you would treat your child's skinned knee.

H]-[H

Tortoises' shells don't shed like water turtle shells do. I would have to guess that that is some sort of little minor poke type injury. Just rub some antibiotic ointment on it and watch to keep flies off it. Treat it just like you would treat your child's skinned knee.
Thanks for the swift reply.. Apparently, it happened a while ago when my sister took it for a walk in the sun.. even she doesn't know how it got that wound.. *facepalm*
Since the tortoise is under her care, I never noticed until these few days when I've to babysit it..
Strangely enough, in just two days looking after it, the tiny bit that was sticking out came off..
Now there's just an abrasion on the shell.. :(

What a perfect baby :rolleyes:. Look at her big baby tortoise head :D.
Thanks, that was a sweet comment.. Here are a few new pictures that I took just now.. It was enjoying a mouthful of creamy durian..
It just took a few bites though.. probably wasn't used to the durian taste..

photo (4).JPG photo (5).JPG photo (6).JPG

That last picture looks like the typical naked baby bottoms photo ! How cute !!
I've attached an unedited pic of that just for you ;)

photo (3).JPG

Kori5

I think they shouldn't be eating fruit more than once a month :). Give him a nice weed diet. I think there are caresheets for stars somewhere on the forum.

Kori5

In general, at least 90% of a Star tortoise's diet should consist of grasses, weeds, and other fiber rich green stuff. Mixed grasses, dark greens, weeds, coarse leaves, and succulents should make the bulk of Star tortoises' diet. Stars tend to like broadleaf weeds better than grasses.

A diverse diet is most important. Offer as large variety of food items as possible. Rotate or mix foods.

Examples:

Grasses - bermuda, bluegrass, fescue, kikuyu, timothy
Weeds - clover, chickweed, dandelion, mallow, plantain
Leaves - grape, mulberry
Succulents - opuntia cactus, sedum
Flowers - hibiscus, petunia, pansy, nasturtium, rose petals
Market foods - endive, escarole, radicchio, baby greens, dandelions, squashes (sparingly)

Last edited:

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
The locals here go crazy for these fruit.. most that I know anyways :D
I'm trying out different food to add to its diet :p Even humans get bored eating the same thing everyday.. lol
Ehh, i think its the smell that i dont like. Jackfruit looks the same but doesnt smell, though i dont eat that much either. Plus its so expensive in the US

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Growing up Taiwanese means getting used to the smell but I still hate it. In my mind it represents NO privacy, once you get a whiff of it you know what your neighbor is eating.

"We had some durian last night!" Reaaally? I had noooo idea...

H]-[H

I think they shouldn't be eating fruit more than once a month :). Give him a nice weed diet. I think there are caresheets for stars somewhere on the forum.

In general, at least 90% of a Star tortoise's diet should consist of grasses, weeds, and other fiber rich green stuff. Mixed grasses, dark greens, weeds, coarse leaves, and succulents should make the bulk of Star tortoises' diet. Stars tend to like broadleaf weeds better than grasses.

A diverse diet is most important. Offer as large variety of food items as possible. Rotate or mix foods.

Examples:

Grasses - bermuda, bluegrass, fescue, kikuyu, timothy
Weeds - clover, chickweed, dandelion, mallow, plantain
Leaves - grape, mulberry
Succulents - opuntia cactus, sedum
Flowers - hibiscus, petunia, pansy, nasturtium, rose petals
Market foods - endive, escarole, radicchio, baby greens, dandelions, squashes (sparingly)
Thanks a lot for the info!!
The tortoise only gets fruits occasionally.. Its main diet are leaves plucked from nearby hiking trail..
It enjoys eating them :D

Ehh, i think its the smell that i dont like. Jackfruit looks the same but doesnt smell, though i dont eat that much either. Plus its so expensive in the US
How much do they cost in the US?

Growing up Taiwanese means getting used to the smell but I still hate it. In my mind it represents NO privacy, once you get a whiff of it you know what your neighbor is eating.

"We had some durian last night!" Reaaally? I had noooo idea...
Lol when it's durian season, the street is literally filled with the aroma :rolleyes:

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
That's a good-looking poop. I love how we all just get used to inspecting, scrutinizing, admiring and taking photos of tortoise poops. Nobody told me that would be part of the tortoise experience.

What have I become? :D

H]-[H

That's a good-looking poop. I love how we all just get used to inspecting, scrutinizing, admiring and taking photos of tortoise poops. Nobody told me that would be part of the tortoise experience.

What have I become? :D
Lol, it's something that stuck with me from fish keeping.. The first thing to check if a fish is sick is the poop (usually a good indicator)
Now I'm just obsessed in making sure the tortoise is well cared and learning new things on this forum :D

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Always embarassed when looking through my phone pics.....weeds to id, weeds, poop, cute tortoise pic, family pic, prolapse, weeds...