she urinated yellow stones

Mina Adel

my adult female Egyptian tortoise urinates tiny yellow crystals.
what is that ?

1466955109352.jpg 1466955119766.jpg 1466955144212.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicole M

5 Year Member
Bumping this because it is definitely not normal... Crystallized or chalky urine happens when they're severely dehydrated. I have no idea why they would be yellow.

Kori5

I was following on instagram a guy whose tortoise had the exact same thing. It was some kind of liver failure. They gave him antibiotics first I think and then sow thistle so the liver regenerates. The tortoise is better :). You should see a vet and run some tests

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mayo, Ireland
Mina has a lot of torts with many and varying medical conditions and illnesses.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Are there any other symptoms?

My first thought was liver disease as well but hopefully this tort is on medication and that's what's causing the yellow color. In any case hydration is very important. The texture is not good, I'd do several soaks daily to help her along.

Mina Adel

she is not on medications. I will soak her daily and tell you the updates.
but the male took a lot of antibiotics. now he is ill of my wrong dosing of antibiotics. he refuses to eat or move. I don't know what to do?

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I remember you saying there are no vers around your area for tortoises. For now, all you can do if soak the tortoise daily and keep offering fresh foods. Forum members (and myself included) try baby food (carrot) soaks or if Pedialyte is available in your area, those could also be added into your soaks.
Keep him warm at all times, of course.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
@Linhdan Nguyen is right. That is all you can do now and I second her suggestion 100%. This is his only chance for recovery in your situation, I'd do this for several weeks and look for improvement before considering what I'm going to say next.

I don't want to say this, I don't think anybody does, but Mina, if he received the overdose a month ago and has not improved and is getting worse, he may have organ damage/failure. Antibiotics given at normal dosages can be hard on their organs, I can only imagine what such a massive overdose can do. If his health continues to deteriorate and there is no way for you to find a vet who can help him, and he can't eat or move or do anything on his own, it may be best to have him put to sleep. A dog and cat vet can do this for you. I'm sorry.