She’ll rot

LMiesse

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Just wondering if this maybe shell rot.. What can I do at home to treat it? I know how to fix enclosure so this doesn’t happen again. Thank you

Attachments

• 0C378499-D464-4172-A710-7D6869413F8C.jpeg
    0C378499-D464-4172-A710-7D6869413F8C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 97024482-DE9C-4311-B8E9-D0C8A9C30D80.jpeg
    97024482-DE9C-4311-B8E9-D0C8A9C30D80.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 62168925-4C58-4306-BC75-2CE04F6559B0.jpeg
    62168925-4C58-4306-BC75-2CE04F6559B0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11

jsheffield - In Memoriam

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Ok thank you! Do I need to clean it with mild soap and a small tooth brush first?
You could probably just use the toothbrush and warm water prior to applying the athlete's foot cream, but if you want to go above and beyond, you could make a soaking solution of povidone-iodine and warm water (aim for the color of weak tea), give them a quick soak and scrub with the toothbrush, rinse them off, dry them off, then put on just enough of the cream to cover the whole shell (even if only a bit of the shell is effected, I apply the cream to the whole shell.

Jamie

LMiesse

Ohio
You could probably just use the toothbrush and warm water prior to applying the athlete's foot cream, but if you want to go above and beyond, you could make a soaking solution of povidone-iodine and warm water (aim for the color of weak tea), give them a quick soak and scrub with the toothbrush, rinse them off, dry them off, then put on just enough of the cream to cover the whole shell (even if only a bit of the shell is effected, I apply the cream to the whole shell.

Jamie
Thanks Jamie! This is super helpful! I so appreciate it! I will definitely try the soak.. So should I make it pretty shallow so my tort can’t drink it etc?

jsheffield - In Memoriam

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Thanks Jamie! This is super helpful! I so appreciate it! I will definitely try the soak.. So should I make it pretty shallow so my tort can’t drink it etc?
I normally make my soaks deep enough that they come up to the point where the plastron meets the carapace when the tort is standing with their legs mostly extended, so they don't have to strain to keep above the soaking mixture.... then I splash the soak all over their shell.

J

LMiesse

Ohio
I normally make my soaks deep enough that they come up to the point where the plastron meets the carapace when the tort is standing with their legs mostly extended, so they don't have to strain to keep above the soaking mixture.... then I splash the soak all over their shell.

J
Thank you so much for all of the advice and details. I have one last question. How often do I apply the cream and how often should I do soaks?

jsheffield - In Memoriam

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Thank you so much for all of the advice and details. I have one last question. How often do I apply the cream and how often should I do soaks?
I'm not an expert, but I think I'd just do the povidone soak once, and in the past I've applied the athlete's foot cream 3 times, 2-3 days between each application, although I honestly think once might be enough.

Jamie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm not an expert, but I think I'd just do the povidone soak once, and in the past I've applied the athlete's foot cream 3 times, 2-3 days between each application, although I honestly think once might be enough.

Jamie
Yep. Just once on the antiseptic wash. Too much can actually slow down healing. I skip this step altogether.
But the Athletes foot cream can by applied every day or every other day for a few days. And I agree that the very first application probably kills it.. but treating again will do no harm.
To me it looks like some of it has already healed.
Just smear it on with a finger or a Q tip. Etc and ANY Athletes foot cream will work. (I get mine from the Dollar Store.)
The scars will remain for a long while. But you'll know it's healing when it is all hard again and you can't rub any soft shell material off with your fingernail.

LMiesse

Ohio
Yep. Just once on the antiseptic wash. Too much can actually slow down healing. I skip this step altogether.
But the Athletes foot cream can by applied every day or every other day for a few days. And I agree that the very first application probably kills it.. but treating again will do no harm.
To me it looks like some of it has already healed.
Just smear it on with a finger or a Q tip. Etc and ANY Athletes foot cream will work. (I get mine from the Dollar Store.)
The scars will remain for a long while. But you'll know it's healing when it is all hard again and you can't rub any soft shell material off with your fingernail.
Ok awesome! Thank you for the extra input. I really appreciate it! Also thank you for info that it may be healing and how it will look.
I have all the stuff I need now and will do it tomorrow since my tort went to bed by the time I got home.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ok awesome! Thank you for the extra input. I really appreciate it! Also thank you for info that it may be healing and how it will look.
I have all the stuff I need now and will do it tomorrow since my tort went to bed by the time I got home.
Treatment is very simple and very effective.
Shell fungus is relatively common with Redfoot