Share your red foot pictures!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Awwww! Vern is sooooooo sweet!!!! I recognize him from different views. Ruby is little piggy just like Shellie. Why do they have to sit on their food???!!!
I sit on my food, too.
It stops anybody else from noshing it.
Seriously, I think that in nature they are browsing animals which move slowly forward eating as they go.
So in captivity they eat and move forward and are sitting on their food with no more in front of them.
So they stop.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I got a pile of rectangular trays to keep the torts in a line while they eat, it helps a bit. Vern eats alone because he gets distracted by seeing the other torts and wants to sniff them.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I sit on my food, too.
It stops anybody else from noshing it.
Seriously, I think that in nature they are browsing animals which move slowly forward eating as they go.
So in captivity they eat and move forward and are sitting on their food with no more in front of them.
So they stop.
I know, the mother in my wants to correct that behavior, i pick them up and back them up to the front of the dish/slate and keep doing this until I can tell they have "caught on" to the "eating bug". I know! It sounds a bit ... like I'am "a helicopter tort grandma" but if not for that hovering over tjosr babies I seriously doubt Tucker would be here with us today.

RIO'S MOM

Northeastern U.S.A.
Rio is a HOOT ! I NEVER could have guessed that a tortoise could have so much personality and humor to share with us. We are literally in love with this guy.

He's a rescue that I found walking down the middle of a road in Pennsylvania. My big brother has an exotics veterinary practice in MASS. Together we've been working on Rio's well being. He showed up with mild to moderate scute pyramidding, very dehydrated and the appetite of an ox. He's improving slowly.

We are just finishing his winter quarters. Pics available at link below. Using EVERYTHING we have learned here on TF. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...closed-4×6-shelter.146283/page-2#post-1387007

hdr_1474812875728.jpg

Hanging out

hdr_1474812782995.jpg

"In yo face !"
( Rio LOVES selfies. )

hdr_1474812691637.jpg

"Don't worry. It's just me Mom."

Attachments

• hdr_1474812691637.jpg
    hdr_1474812691637.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 13

RIO'S MOM

Northeastern U.S.A.
Also, we had Mazuri for breakfast, in case you can't tell.
View attachment 187001
Love this. How old is Vern ? Rio likes this too. Rio is about twice the size of Vern. I am always on the hunt for comparison to torts whose age is known. The only thing I know for sure is that Rio is at least breeding age, because he made a girlfriend out of a tortoise statue on the deck and he leaves quite a puddle. LOL

RIO'S MOM

Northeastern U.S.A.
Today's breakfast consists of
hibiscus flower and leaves, primrose flower, clover, broad plantain, narrow plantain, dandilion leaves and a piece of mushroom each. All food and torts lightly sprayed to imitate dew.
You'll notice that the mushroom has already gone, that's why I control mushroom,fruit and protein intake.
View attachment 186395 View attachment 186396

GORGEOUS presentation! My Hubbs the chef would approve. :):<3: beautiful torts!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Love this. How old is Vern ? Rio likes this too. Rio is about twice the size of Vern. I am always on the hunt for comparison to torts whose age is known. The only thing I know for sure is that Rio is at least breeding age, because he made a girlfriend out of a tortoise statue on the deck and he leaves quite a puddle. LOL

@RIO'S MOM I think you may have Vern and Ruby mixed up. She's the one covered in Mazuri. She's our smallest at 1.5lbs. Vern is about 10 years old and weighs about 12lbs now. Here's a decent show of size.

Ruby - Squirt - Mango - Vern - Rambo (This was before we got Red)

p1971191328-4.jpg

p1993118175-4.jpg

RIO'S MOM

Northeastern U.S.A.
View attachment 187067 another "food picture", cactus, collard, dandelion greens and escarole all chopped, mango and bit of red bell pepper
View attachment 187068example of breakfast. Mazuri on both sides of food pile. I alternate Mazuri with few other kinds of forest tort pellets. They get little pelleted food just at breakfast, different brand every day of the week. I do this to fill in the nutrition gaps if they are to lack any vitamin or trace elements etcView attachment 187069 example of food pile before the pellets go in. The size of the pile is about the size of their carapace and there is always little food left over. If the ate every bit of it, I'd assume they were still hungry and would increase the quantity...

Thanks for posting this. It makes me think, cause sometimes RIO seems like he's really working with whole pieces of melon and such.

RIO'S MOM

Northeastern U.S.A.
20160810_114334_resized.jpg
@RIO'S MOM I think you may have Vern and Ruby mixed up. She's the one covered in Mazuri. She's our smallest at 1.5lbs. Vern is about 10 years old and weighs about 12lbs now. Here's a decent show of size.

Ruby - Squirt - Mango - Vern - Rambo (This was before we got Red)

p1971191328-4.jpg

p1993118175-4.jpg
Yes, I did have them mixed up. Vern looks similar in size to Rio. I never weighed him. I don't really have a good size comparison shot off him. The pics on deck above can give a rough idea, if you realize that the deck boards are 6"each. Vern may be larger than Rio. Thanks! What a great shot of your torts and your daughter!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
View attachment 187946
Yes, I did have them mixed up. Vern looks similar in size to Rio. I never weighed him. I don't really have a good size comparison shot off him. The pics on deck above can give a rough idea, if you realize that the deck boards are 6"each. Vern may be larger than Rio. Thanks! What a great shot of your torts and your daughter!

Not a daughter, that's me! I'm just about 30 with no kiddos. Totally content with the pile of tortoises. A few pages back there's a pic of all 6 of them in the bathtub that shows sizes fairly well also.

RIO'S MOM

Northeastern U.S.A.
Oh cool! Sorry. Don't know why I assumed, maybe because you look quite young for 30!
Nice to meet you, this is me. 1234665_705863026096170_1400424614_n.jpg

This is the only me shot on my tablet, such as it is...

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Oh cool! Sorry. Don't know why I assumed, maybe because you look quite young for 30!
Nice to meet you, this is me. View attachment 187947

This is the only me shot on my tablet, such as it is...

I get it a lot - I got carded for buying super glue recently. I used to find it irritating, but now that I'm getting grey hairs I'm totally okay with looking young still, haha.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475081470.627066.jpg i just adore their "dragon legs". ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475081538.192705.jpg and the scaly tails! Sooo cute! Too bad they hide them most of the time ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475081649.293231.jpg look at that!!!! Isn't that a dragon foot?! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475081722.947433.jpg Shellie's "dragon leg" ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475081775.223129.jpgthis must be why they call them the redfooted. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475081824.139586.jpgTucker has just red heels. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475081939.387709.jpg and my absolute favorite! Those 3 symetrical "achilles scales". She looks like wearing those seemed nylons:)