Sexing a hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctrin13th

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
What I mean is a unique feature? A natural "mark" that distinguishes one sulcata from other...Is there any?

Is nail polish non-toxic to tortoise shell?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Madkins007 said:
I used a mail-order pet psychic to determine the gender of my babies. All I had to do was to send in a photo (that had been rubbed on the baby in question) and a big old check and she gave me a reading that she promised would be good for the next three years.

I don't want to share her name here on the open forum, but if you send ME the photo and money (in a check made out to me, she doesn't soil herself handling money) I will send you the results- and remember- the results are guaranteed accurate for three years!

Nice I like that Im thinking about becoming a pet psychic I think that means Its hard to tell the sex of a hatchling

doctrin13th said:
Guys...
How can I "mark" my tortoise so that if ever I buy another couple or more, I can point who's who. Or is there a physically unique natural mark (e.g human birthmarks) that distinguish one from another.

I can just tell whos who:D:D:D You will be able to trust me

Tom said:
Does anyone know where to get those tiny little colored and numbered dots? I was thinking of giving those a try.

Ya contact me I know where to get them, I use to put them on my ceiling as a kid and they glowed in the dark MEMBER

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kim:

You can put a little dot of fingernail polish in the very center of a scute. Try to not get any on the seams, or growth lines, because they are tender and it might hurt the tortoise. Just a dab or dot of nail polish in the very center of a scute will not harm your baby.

The Adjustor

5 Year Member
Tucson, Az
doctrin13th said:
Guys...
How can I "mark" my tortoise so that if ever I buy another couple or more, I can point who's who. Or is there a physically unique natural mark (e.g human birthmarks) that distinguish one from another.

No two tortoises look exactly the same, just like no two people look the same, and no two dogs look the same. As you spend enough time with your torts you should be able to identify them simply by looking at them. Not necessarily by a "birth mark", but rather just by the uniqueness of each ones carapace/plastron. You may even be able to make out their faces from one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.