Setting up a tall vivarium

Eireinpoland

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Hi all,

I recently became a owner of a young Russian Tortoise and I have bought an enclosure for him is quite tall (measurements: 150cm x 80cm x 75cm) and when I have it filled with substrate, it will be approximately 65 cm (26inch) from the ceiling to the top of the substrate. I bought a Arcadia Kit 24W Pro T5 UVB Kit 12% and from their guide it's slightly out side their recommended height. I just want to check if it's still fine to fit into the ceiling or if I should hang it somehow so it's a few cm closer to the substrate? I am a complete idiot when it comes to DIY and lighting in general so any ideas for hanging it are much appreciated.

Also I have fairly large dome for the basking lamp and wondering what is the best way to hang it? My current plan is to just hang it using a screw in hook but not sure if this is strong enough to support the light? The dome is https://allegro.pl/oferta/klosz-hagen-exo-terra-porcelanowa-lampa-do-terrarium-200-w-15208206011

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I would go with the manufacturer's recommended height. Make sure you hang the lights with eye-hooks and chain. do not hang them by the power cord.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
1. This is the kind of hooks, widely used for hanging stuff in the enclosure: https://images.homedepot-static.com...2c83/svn/everbilt-cup-hooks-803104-64_600.jpg (cup holder hook with a carabine, it's for the general idea).
2. Arcadia 12% lamps are hanged approximately at 18 inches above substrate. Make some room for adjustment (basically, you will need to lower a lamp in year or two, when UV level starts to fade).
3. Check if the dome comes with a metallic hanging bracket (many have it in kit besides the clamp). Dome with a bracket will look like this: https://image.chewy.com/is/image/catalog/223461_MAIN._AC_SL1500_V1583337519_.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, with Russian tortoises, "Tall" isn't what you want. They need a larger footprint, not tall sides. Russian tortoises need to wander over great distances. They're hard wired to do so, so they need floor space.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Actually, with Russian tortoises, "Tall" isn't what you want. They need a larger footprint, not tall sides. Russian tortoises need to wander over great distances. They're hard wired to do so, so they need floor space.
Yes, how young is your tortoise? What size is he (carapace lenght and weight)? He might outgrow that enclosure soon. For adult Russians 8 by 4 feet or 32 square feet (2,9 sqm) is considered the minium.