Setting up a habitat for a 3inch RES

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Hi I'm planning to get maybe 1 or 2 RES from my local aquarium shop and I need to know generally how big the habitat should be. Can anyone advice? Thanks in advance!

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
As big as you can get! That's what a lot of people are going to tell you. ;) Someone told me a little pond outside would be ideal.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
As big as you can get! That's what a lot of people are going to tell you. ;) Someone told me a little pond outside would be ideal.
But if you keep it outdoors, there will be risk of predators harming the RES, right?

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I'm not sure, there'll be more people who keep RES, and keep them outdoors that can answer better. :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can keep them indoors . Get a tanj as big as you can. They get big like 16" . So a little fish tank isn't going to work long . Some use horse watering tanks that come in 300 gallons for the price of a 150 gallon fish tank . I keep my sliders outside in a pond kit from Home Depot all year . It is cheaper and theres less cleaning. They are dirty turtle you will fight the water indoors . Outside a pond filter and a pond is all you need . No heat lamps no timers . Here are my ponds so you get an idea .

Attachments

• 1413468085394.jpg
    1413468085394.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 1413468132810.jpg
    1413468132810.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 25

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
You can keep them indoors . Get a tanj as big as you can. They get big like 16" . So a little fish tank isn't going to work long . Some use horse watering tanks that come in 300 gallons for the price of a 150 gallon fish tank . I keep my sliders outside in a pond kit from Home Depot all year . It is cheaper and theres less cleaning. They are dirty turtle you will fight the water indoors . Outside a pond filter and a pond is all you need . No heat lamps no timers . Here are my ponds so you get an idea .
Wow mike, what you've got there are great! Thanks for those ideas! I am still thinking if I should keep them indoors or outdoors... hmm... oh and also do you reccomend to start out with 1 RES or 2? (I really don't wish to separate them in the future if I get 2)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I keep a male and female together . But the males will get feisty.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Really nice habitats there Mike. Good ideas/setup for many here on the Forum. Tks for sharing

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I keep my turtles outside because water turtles stink . You clean clean clean and you clean some more and they stink it up again . Plus you don't need all the heat lamps and dry dock basking things . Its just a pain to keep turtles indoors when they are big . Babies on the other hand are much easier but they don't stay small. The prices you pay for setting up small tanks indoors you can build a nice outdoor pond .

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
I keep my turtles outside because water turtles stink . You clean clean clean and you clean some more and they stink it up again . Plus you don't need all the heat lamps and dry dock basking things . Its just a pain to keep turtles indoors when they are big . Babies on the other hand are much easier but they don't stay small. The prices you pay for setting up small tanks indoors you can build a nice outdoor pond .
Thanks mike, I do want to have an outdoor pond, but just scared of predators actually getting pass the fencing and all that.

Where I live its hot and humid all year, is there anything I need to take note of if I decide to make an outdoor pond? Thanks!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hot and humid sounds so nice! I want to make a turtle pond for my adult sliders, but they'll have to hibernate :(

So, sliders get very big. They are dirty, dirty turtles. They eat like no tomorrow, and having two together isn't the best idea, especially as adults! (I learned that)
Maybe start out with just one, because he won't stay small for long!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, mike, you have such nice ponds! Do you have any netting on top for birds? My sliders are 8+, so should I be worried about a hawk lifting one next year? :confused:

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Hot and humid sounds so nice! I want to make a turtle pond for my adult sliders, but they'll have to hibernate :(

So, sliders get very big. They are dirty, dirty turtles. They eat like no tomorrow, and having two together isn't the best idea, especially as adults! (I learned that)
Maybe start out with just one, because he won't stay small for long!
Thanks for sharing! Well what if I opt for an indoor tank? Do I still need a heater then? And what about uvb? Can I choose to bring them out daily to bask rather than use the lamps? Thanks

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
No netting just walls to keep them in . My turtles are to big to be taken by a bird . But I guess a really big bird could . Thats why my pond is deep . My turtles bask then when I walk by they go into the water like a wild turtle . I have never had a problem with anything messing around with my animals . If you are scared of something getting your turtles then build a screened in enclosure with a top .

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
No netting just walls to keep them in . My turtles are to big to be taken by a bird . But I guess a really big bird could . Thats why my pond is deep . My turtles bask then when I walk by they go into the water like a wild turtle . I have never had a problem with anything messing around with my animals . If you are scared of something getting your turtles then build a screened in enclosure with a top .
Can I choose to use netting instead? So that they can see the outside? Thanks

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thanks for sharing! Well what if I opt for an indoor tank? Do I still need a heater then? And what about uvb? Can I choose to bring them out daily to bask rather than use the lamps? Thanks
I don't use a heater indoors, and the water stays about 70' all day every day. Turtles and torts only need about a few hours of UVB a week to 'survive' and stay healthy, so little outdoors visits would be great. Many owners have an indoor and an outdoor for their turtles, just like torts.
Indoor housing can be great, but keep in mind RESs get big, and most glass tanks won't stay big for long.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
I don't use a heater indoors, and the water stays about 70' all day every day. Turtles and torts only need about a few hours of UVB a week to 'survive' and stay healthy, so little outdoors visits would be great. Many owners have an indoor and an outdoor for their turtles, just like torts.
Indoor housing can be great, but keep in mind RESs get big, and most glass tanks won't stay big for long.
Great thanks Yellow! Does this mean I can just take them out during weekends for some sunlight and I don't need to get heat lamp and uvb lamp?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You will need to have a basking lamp indoors . If you are going to keep them indoors here is a list of things you will need.
tank
water
filter two times bigger than the gallons of the tank
basking dock
basking lamp (mvb lamp has heat and uvb all in one )
food
plants to hide in (real or fake up to you )
tank heater (depending on temperature of your house )
a good thermometer

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Great thanks Yellow! Does this mean I can just take them out during weekends for some sunlight and I don't need to get heat lamp and uvb lamp?
You need the heat, always, 12-14m hours everyday for the heat, and extra UVB couldn't hurt, but to eliminate indoor UVB (PLEASE remeber less UVB really isn't recommended!Indoors or out.) they'd need to be out for than the weekend... especially if it was cloudy or raining! :)