September 2011 Tortoise Roundup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston Area, Texas
Well they've been working me into the ground lately, so this is the first that I get to post about my trip to Alabama to pick up 5 sulcata. Temps here were well into three digits, and there were a few of us that wanted our babies SO BAD, I decided to make a trip to pick them up. They were shipped from Long Island to Alabama, then driven from Alabama back down here to the Houston area.
Miss Vicki was kind enough to take some unpacking photos.
What's in the box?!?
Shippingbox.jpg

Two of Five
ShippingBox2.jpg

Clearly Marked by Julie
ShippingRoomates.jpg

So all five babies get a nice little soak, and settle in to the Alabama lifestyle for a few days. My riding (sleeping is what he did) partner and I show up about 8pm to gather them up, and end up spending FOUR HOURS chatting with the Fabulous Miss Vicki. She needs to move to Texas! What an awesome person. A good night's rest, then it's 14 hours back the other way. Once we made the Texas border and could officially call them TEXANS instead of yankees, we stopped for a clean-out and leg stretch. I got the clean out (easy) job, and Chris was babysitter. He definately burned more calories!
First He Started with Two
IMAG0326.jpg

Then We Added a Third
IMAG0329.jpg

And Then There Were Five
IMAG0328.jpg

I warned him that they were very curious critters. He soon found out for himself. The field was echoing with "No, Captain, you can't eat that. Galileo, come here. Squirt, keep with the others." Lol, that sure did pay him back for all the sleeping he did! From here we zoomed by Ft. Worth and dropped off two of our crew, then headed back home for some much needed sleep. I had an overnight guest until their new family could meet me in Houston, and took these pictures during our celebration luncheon on Sunday morning.
Feeding Frenzy
IMAG0330.jpg

Walkin it Off (better known as "Makin Room for More")
IMAG0336.jpg

Squirt Stuffing Himself
Squirt.jpg

Camren and Stashu
CamrenandStashu.jpg

Stashu is the 7yr old, 6 inch sulcata from TRLI that there was a thread about earlier in the month. At some point I'll force myself to quit playing and take some pics, so that I can introduce him and Camren properly. I met Squirt's new family in Houston later that day, and he went off to celebrate Labor Day with them.
That whole trip was SO worth it!

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Wow those are some beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What a great story. So glad it all worked out.

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
It was a great experience. Much better than, say, carting my children cross country! Plus, there was the added benefit off dropping off three of them before the weekend was over!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Your comments about Chris burning the calories watching the sulcatas, reminded me of when I was bringing just my two teenagers home in the semi. There just has got to be some unwritten rule that each tortoise is only allowed to go in the opposite direction as the next tortoise. I can so easily visualize his dilemma with them. :D :D

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
I warned him, and he thought he was taking the "easy" job. My husband swears that they sit there and plot their every move, waiting until his back is turned!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Ruthie. In that first picture, I really like the coloring on the tortoise on the left.

I'll bet Julie was so happy to find good homes for those sulcatas. She really takes in quite a few of them.

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
emysemys said:
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Ruthie. In that first picture, I really like the coloring on the tortoise on the left.

I'll bet Julie was so happy to find good homes for those sulcatas. She really takes in quite a few of them.

The tortoise on the left is Camren, and he happened to be Vicki's favorite, too.

Julie is a fantastic person, and she's doing a great service to all the turtles and tortoises up there in Long Island!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looks like Julie has a few more she would like to quickly find GOOD homes for.

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
I spoke to Squirt's new family today, and just had to share what they said with everyone, it was so cute. I asked how things were going with Squirt, and let her know that I picture her son's great big joyful grin every time I think of them. She said, "He is doing well, he has his own schedule. That we have to follow." I thought of my three guys, and yep, sounds about right!

Status
Not open for further replies.