Seed Mixes and Calcium Questions

jaketheskate

5 Year Member
I am going to buy a seed mix or two for my Russian at tortoisesupply.com for my Russian. Is the testudo mix enough or should I add another to mix in. Btw I don't mean for quantity I mean for variety, like add some grasses . Also, is the ZooMed Tortoise Block a good enough supplement on its own?

Thanks,
Jakob

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I don't know if Russians readily eat grass but if you have the funds, I'd say why not. Where will you be seeding? In trays for cutting, inside the enclosure, or outdoors? I definitely like the testudo mix from tortoisesupply and I've heard great things about their herbal hay. As for supplements, I dunno about the tortoise block, but I like to leave cuttlebones in the enclosure and also sprinkle small amounts of calcium/multivitamins on the food every so often.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Jake I am so glad you asked this question. I hope its ok to add to the post since I would like to know myself concerning if the variety is enough.

I am preparing to grow indoor tortoise & turtle food myself. This mix is recommended for the Russian tortoise. It is the same seed mix Jake was referring to in his post. http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix It has blend of 24 broadleaf plants and clovers. So is the variety in the mix with 24 different plants? Would this be the staple diet or would I rotate this with the store foods etc.? I also plan to grow it in the outdoor enclosure along with a variety of flowers & other plants. I also wanted to ad cactus, herbal hay pfara mentioned etc. to the winter diet.

My question is the Testudo mix a variety in itself?
How long does the it take for the plants to be full grown ready to eat?
For those who grow this indoors do all the seeds types grow or is there a few dominate seeds that take. I have purchased mix seeds in the past and only one or two seemed to grow. I am hoping most of the 24 seed types will grow.

I am planning to purchase indoor growing lights etc. so I am hoping this seed mix is a good one that will offer Tortuga a variety of weeds & clovers. I will not grow them in the indoor enclosure but outside under growing lights.

Thanks!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It sprouts fairly quickly. Clover will sprout first. Don't seed the mix too thickly, or the clover will choke out the other sprouts that come up later.
Sprinkle it thinly, then just press into the soil. Maybe a tiny sprinkle of soil over it, but not much.
Great stuff.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Yes the testudo mix is a variety that is great to browse on. They all will sprout but some a few days before others. Even the same type of seed can sprout a few days after the other. I'm not entirely sure on this, but if it's anything like grass, the mix should be well established within 4-6 weeks. You can definitely use it as a staple food but I'd still like to add in other things like grape, mulberry or hibiscus leaves, etc for more variety.

TortsNTurtles said:
Jake I am so glad you asked this question. I hope its ok to add to the post since I would like to know myself concerning if the variety is enough.

I am preparing to grow indoor tortoise & turtle food myself. This mix is recommended for the Russian tortoise. It is the same seed mix Jake was referring to in his post. http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix It has blend of 24 broadleaf plants and clovers. So is the variety in the mix with 24 different plants? Would this be the staple diet or would I rotate this with the store foods etc.? I also plan to grow it in the outdoor enclosure along with a variety of flowers & other plants. I also wanted to ad cactus, herbal hay pfara mentioned etc. to the winter diet.

My question is the Testudo mix a variety in itself?
How long does the it take for the plants to be full grown ready to eat?
For those who grow this indoors do all the seeds types grow or is there a few dominate seeds that take. I have purchased mix seeds in the past and only one or two seemed to grow. I am hoping most of the 24 seed types will grow.

I am planning to purchase indoor growing lights etc. so I am hoping this seed mix is a good one that will offer Tortuga a variety of weeds & clovers. I will not grow them in the indoor enclosure but outside under growing lights.

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love Tyler's Testudo mix. Its my favorite. But I still feed lots of other stuff too. How long it takes to grow depends on a lot of variables. I usually take my first cuttings after about 6 weeks, and then every two to four weeks after that in spring and summer. In fall or winter it hardly grows at all.

I wouldn't grow grass for a russian. They don't need it. Grow more other stuff like squash leaves, sunflower leaves, carrot tops, arugula, clover mixes or alfalfa. Gazanias, pansies, nasturtiums, etc... Grape leaves, opuntia cactus, other broadleaf weed mixes, etc. The list is endless.

jaketheskate

5 Year Member
Thanks tom!

On amazon.com they have a zoomed turtle bone. Good source of calcium, should be a fine type of cuttlebone?

Wartortle

Southern California (Simi Valley)
The testudo mix works well, but mine never touch anything that has grass. It grows fairly quickly and has good variety, so I'd say go for it. They're really helpful at tortoise supply and they will help with absolutely any questions that you have now and will have in the future. :) overall great service and I'd definitely recommend them.