scorpion bites

Status
Not open for further replies.

louise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
[/b]My 8 yr old, 45 lb African Spurred thighed, Scooter was recently in trouble. He was fine, and then in a 3 hour time period, he looked like he was having a seisure. The emergency vet took Xrays and found no respiratory problems and then felt that Scooter was stung by a scorpion. He gave him a valium/morphine cocktail and said if not better, see my own vet. Well, he was worse. the spasms in his legs and head were horrible and mucus...tons of mucus. The regular vet said sinus infection and gave him an antibiotic and laissix shot last night. He has been shaking less and actually seems to be resting well today. Anyone else ever had such symptoms in their sulcata?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I hate to contradict your vet, but I really doubt a sinus infection would cause leg spasms. It sounds to me as if your emergency vet was more on the right track. Maybe a black widow or something like that. Maybe even one of those black thread-waisted mud dauber wasps. Their sting is really lethal. The gobs of mucous give me the clue of more of a toxin or poison than an infection. I've never seen your tortoise's symptoms before, but I'm really glad he seems to be getting better. Have you gone over his pen with a fine-tooth comb? Take a really good look inside his house and up around the corners of the ceiling.

Yvonne

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
If there's anything in his pen made of plastic look carefully for black widow spiders. They love plastic.

louise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I hate to contradict your vet, but I really doubt a sinus infection would cause leg spasms. It sounds to me as if your emergency vet was more on the right track. Maybe a black widow or something like that. Maybe even one of those black thread-waisted mud dauber wasps. Their sting is really lethal. The gobs of mucous give me the clue of more of a toxin or poison than an infection. I've never seen your tortoise's symptoms before, but I'm really glad he seems to be getting better. Have you gone over his pen with a fine-tooth comb? Take a really good look inside his house and up around the corners of the ceiling.

Yvonne

louise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thank you Yvonne. Scooter lives in an igloo type dog house in the winter. I cleaned it out the other day but will scour the "roof" inside. He is eating by hand today but really lethargic. I"m thinking his morphine/valium cocktail from Sunday night is kicking in!! He is mostly outside in the summer though. Vets guess, with reptiles, so your guess is as valid. thank you

louise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
louise said:
emysemys said:

Yvonne

louise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
scooter walked a bit this afternoon. His right front foot is not hitting on the pad. It is bent under..like a stroke victem. I will go back to the vet tomorrow as he was going to contact the reptile director at the Phoenix zoo. I can feel he has lost weight too. Boy...we do get attached to our pets!!! I will let you know what is said

louise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am happy to report that a car ride to the vet was what Scooter needed to feel better! He walked from the sidewalk into the vet's office....got the 2nd antibiotic shot....and walked out the door! that was thursday and he ate alot and soaked a bit in the pool. HE'S BEEN A TAD LETHARGIC SINCE, BUT I chalk it up to the shot and alot of walking. Hopefully, all is well. thanks for all your concern

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Louise, I am glad Scooter is feeling better. Hopeing he keeps heading in the right direction :)

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am so glad he is doing better, what vet do you use??

louise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks, but he just blew a bubble from his nose....which isn't good!! very lethargic and eating only when hand fed/

louise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
to all who have been kind enough to view my asking for help with scooter, I think I have a vet that figured it out. He does have an upper respiratory infection and will be on baytril for 10 days. whether the original problem that changed him in 2 hours was a venomous bite or the onset of a sinus infection..we may never know, But I think this will return him to normal. thanks for all your help and good thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.