Scarlett is a snot

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Last weekend I moved my Leopards outside for the summer. Scarlett is an 16ish year old tempermental leopard. She hasn't eaten since I put them out. She will not come out of her box. This morning I prepared romaine, her favorite and mazuri, her next favorite. I took her out of the box, and put her in front of the food. I held a piece of romaine out to her. She literally put her nose in the air, turned around, and went back into her box.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It's ok. I laughed. She hates change. She has behaved like this before. I am sure she will adjust eventually.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
My torts don't mind change in their enclosures they seem fascinated by trenching in their pen to make changes. But if they are gone when the changes are made they seem to slowly adjust to the change. And they do vary from one to another as to how they adapt to the change.

I'm wondering, if you gradually introduce her to the outdoor enclosure or if you move some of her familiar obstacles, dishes, etc. with her if that would make the change easier.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Lol I have put her out several days, bringing her in at night. Every time I brought her back in, she would go into her hide and would stay there for at least a day. She hates change. I wish the hide I had inside would fit in the box, but it won't. I did that for my smaller male. He is more adaptable anyway. Her dishes are out there though.
It makes me feel bad that she is so stressed, but it is amusing that she is so stubborn

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Do you have a heated hide for the leopards yet?
Yes. We built a 4X8 box. This is what Scarlett won't come out of. It's working really well. We used Tom's design. They have Kane mats and a heater on a thermostat.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
They're mostly being good. Lol. My newest still hides in the box most of the time, but she comes out to eat. Thelma actually used the underground hide I built today, so improvement there. They have all gained weight...
They have really surprised me. No fighting or problems at all. No mating either though unfortunately. I am pretty sure the male is not mature. :( Should be close though, so hopefully soon.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well, your husband just builds such great heated hides that they're not coming out of them. Male Russians are easy to come by if you need another one at any time. I don't know if a 2 to 3 ratio is good enough or if you'd have to add more females. Check out that thread in the Russians section about how to sex a Russian tortoise. The little diagram chart is helpful. Maybe that would tell you the approximate maturity level of your male.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My Russian actually spends more time hiding then I thought she would win outdoors. And the enclosure is very well planted, probably too well planted. She shouldn't feel exposed or vulnerable I wouldn't think.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I tried to talk my husband into another male, half heartedly. It would take a whole lot of full hearted begging and bargaining. Lol. The local pet store has one. I am afraid they would fight. I don't want to have to rehome one, and can't maintain 2 groups. I need to stop going to that pet store. It makes me so sad to see them there, Knowing I have this big garden they could be in.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yeah, he probably will be hard to talk into more tortoises. If you get another mail you will almost certainly have to get at least one more female. You're outside enclosure is big enough for two groups if need be in case somebody didn't didn't get along. I was at Petco the other day and I was stupid and went to look at the tortoises, just made me sad and mad.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Scarlett came out of her box today. The box is divided. I was keeping her and my much smaller male seperated. The enclosure was divided with bricks. I knew it wouldn't stop her, and was going to upgrade the divider shortly. She knocked over the bricks, and I found them both in Mort's, much smaller portion of the box.
I am considering leaving them together. I would really like to find another adult female to add.
0521151606a.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
How long will it take Mort to get as big as Scarlet? Or will he? How old are what size does a leopard tortoise have to be to be able to tell the sex?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I don't know exact answers to your questions. He is growing fast,, but is only6 1/2 years old. I know she is at least 16 years. Females are usually bigger, but Mort has some SA characteristics, so I don't know how big he will get.
Males usually flash a at 2-3 years. By 8inches, I think you usually know fairly accurately.
I went and got better bricks. I am going to keep them separated at least until they settle in out there.