Scared

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Mine runs frantically and lunges when I try to pick her up. Also, of course, tucking her head in. Usually rain or heavy wind triggers her to become scared.

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
Well , I asked Speedy and he started singing ; :D

1289325.png

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Interesting responses! In 38+ years of rescuing tortoises & turtles, I can't remember a single time when I've seen one that has showed fear. Yes, they often pull their heads in, but that's a conditioned response to having anything right above their heads. And of course I've seen them take off, but it's usually because they're seeking shade, or food. We've had hurricanes hit us, with no reaction at all from any of our rescues. What is it that frightens your tortoise or turtle?

Ken

Nancyasmar

Lebanon
Interesting responses! In 38+ years of rescuing tortoises & turtles, I can't remember a single time when I've seen one that has showed fear. Yes, they often pull their heads in, but that's a conditioned response to having anything right above their heads. And of course I've seen them take off, but it's usually because they're seeking shade, or food. We've had hurricanes hit us, with no reaction at all from any of our rescues. What is it that frightens your tortoise or turtle?

Ken
Hello courage turtle. well i think it was scared when i put it in the garden it dont move as fast as it is normally i thought it got scared!!!!! maybe it is moving slowly it is new place u think?!

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Most people forget that tortoises really have no natural enemies - other than us humans, of course - so why would they develop a fear reflex? The head-retraction reflex is pretty common in all species, although the best we can do is to jerk back or step away, while tortoises can actually get under cover without moving their feet. I'm pretty sure that if they didn't have shells, then they would move as fast as lizards & other non-shelled reptiles. But after 100 million years or so, there's no reason for them to be afraid.

Ken

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Most people forget that tortoises really have no natural enemies - l
Oh yes they do.

Have you never seen footage of Eagles dropping Testudo on rocks to crack them open? Raccoons will happily take box turtles.

At full adult size they're pretty safe, but smaller torts and turtles are picked off by predators all the time.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
So....I got a box turtle that pees on me about every time I pick her up. Does this mean she's a fearful nervous pee'er or something more sinister....she's doing it on purpose??lol!