Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
why?

if your torts lke fruit, you could drizzle fresh juice over it.. that way it may entice thme to eat the greens, but not eating the fruit, which isnt
great to get any or too much for them.. but if they eat the greens just fine without.. i would not mess with it. No dressing in the wild..

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I wouldn't put salad dressing on a tortoise's food. The oil or fat content is much higher than what they would normally encounter, not to mention the sodium.

As for squeezing some fruit juice over the greens, I think even that is dubious. Except for redfoot, yellowfoot, hingebacks, and box turtles, most of these species can't handle the high concentrations of sugars in fruit, and could get indigestion. Like most things, the occasional fruit as a treat can be fine, but adding fruit juice as a regular dressing over greens sounds problematic to me.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
i was just wondering because i made a salad this morning and i made her a salad too but i had dressing on mine but i do mash up strawberrys pine apple and thats her salad dressing as a treat i just didnt know if it would harm her if i put like some sort of garden dressing on thanks guys/girls :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I often set some of my 'big salad' aside for my torts just before I add the crunchy bits, and things like olives and dressing- they don't particularly need the fats, sugars, and sodium in a lot of that stuff (other than in small doses).

If you are feeding Red- or Yellow-foots, Hingebacks, box turtles, or other 'forest' animals, fruits in moderation are fine. For most other species, they should be a rare treat.

lucas339

5 Year Member
you can blend up cactus. its comes out with the consistency of ranch.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I make tort salad dressing by mixing TNT & water .

I toss the "dressing" with Spring mix. Indy loves it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.