Safe Plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicasully

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
I want to plant a hibiscus plant and a rose bush. My question is what is the best way to do this? if you by them at the store and take off all the soil at what point would it be ok to start giving it to my babies? and what would by the best soil that it sully friendly?

Other question i have a raised garden that i used in the summer to grow veggies and i used some soil with plant food. Do you think this year produce from it would be ok to feed to them or would i have to take out all old soil and start freah?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hibiscus and Roses are fantastic (along with the leaves of both plants)...I am a FREAK about this topic (others I am sure will agree :p) If you purchase the plants from the big brand stores, you can almost guarantee that some type of systemic fertilizer has been at play in their growth...I personally wait one year (or an entire growing season) before I offer....Now, others seem to feel it is aok to feed direct away...but I also do not offer produce from the market to my family nor torts unless it is certified 100% organic (certified, kinda like myself on this topic...lol) but there are so many fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides and such that are applied and then soak into the growing soil and then directly into the plant...that I am not willing to take that chance....long term affects...(five arms and 25 toes risk and all)....so, I would not use a fertilizer, nor any of the "cides"....

jessicasully

5 Year Member
San Diego
ascott said:
Hibiscus and Roses are fantastic (along with the leaves of both plants)...I am a FREAK about this topic (others I am sure will agree :p) If you purchase the plants from the big brand stores, you can almost guarantee that some type of systemic fertilizer has been at play in their growth...I personally wait one year (or an entire growing season) before I offer....Now, others seem to feel it is aok to feed direct away...but I also do not offer produce from the market to my family nor torts unless it is certified 100% organic (certified, kinda like myself on this topic...lol) but there are so many fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides and such that are applied and then soak into the growing soil and then directly into the plant...that I am not willing to take that chance....long term affects...(five arms and 25 toes risk and all)....so, I would not use a fertilizer, nor any of the "cides"....

where would be a good place to get organic plants? im in san diego

Status
Not open for further replies.