Safe inedible plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamkenn

5 Year Member
Hello all

any suggestions for safe plants that I can grow from seed that I can place into the vivarium that won't be eaten by my Russian and that are good for landscaping the vivarium?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Hmm ... I think by definition, inedible plants are not safe, which is why animals don't eat them. Having said that, if they don't get eaten, then they can be used for landscaping.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Anything you grow from seed will look like food to a tortoise. They like the tender young shoots from a seedling. If you buy plants already established that they don't normally eat you would be better off. Plants with a woody stem, maybe some ferns, etc.

JJ_BOY

5 Year Member
Well I bought a fake plant that you just dig up the dirt a little a put it in there and so far she hasn't even thought about eating it.

Kristen A

5 Year Member
What do you know about Camellias? Are they safe for my sulcata? There are some by the outdoor enclosure I am building.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Camelias are not safe for tortoises. I'd hang a net or something to catch the blossoms that fall, so your tortoise doesn't end up eating them by accident.

Kristen A said:
What do you know about Camellias? Are they safe for my sulcata? There are some by the outdoor enclosure I am building.

Status
Not open for further replies.